Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to buy decent equipment that will last. Thats not to say I have unlimited funds or pick the top tier. In order to keep initial cost down I am considering purchasing two rods but only one reel. One MH 8 ft. rod for pier, and one MH 10 ft. rod for surf. No shark or off shore, primarily blues, puppy drum, pampano, etc.

I have been looking at the Penn V Live Liner, the Penn Slammer Live Liner, and the Shimano Bait Runner. What is your opinion and what size reel do I want to consider ?

I'll probably have questions about rods later.

Thank you for your time, Keith

·
Registered
572 Posts
for whiting on the surf and pier i use a 7 foot 6 inch start stellar surf rod with a 3500 spinfisher v with 10 pound mono. the spinfisher v is the bomb.com, its seriously a freaking winch. i got 2 of these setups and they are great. for lures i use shimano saros and stradics because the spinfisher v 7 battle gets alot of windknots with braid. thats why i use mono, but it still works great. get the spinfisher v 4000 or 5000. you would need a bigger one for the 10 footer to balance it out, but itll still work. look into tica or star surf rods because they are great

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my first Shimano bait runner in 1982. I use it now for my anchor rod. I use another bait runner for big bottom fish off piers and shore casting.

Good reals and 30 years on trouble free fishing.....

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I try to buy decent equipment that will last. Thats not to say I have unlimited funds or pick the top tier. In order to keep initial cost down I am considering purchasing two rods but only one reel. One MH 8 ft. rod for pier, and one MH 10 ft. rod for surf. No shark or off shore, primarily blues, puppy drum, pampano, etc.

I have been looking at the Penn V Live Liner, the Penn Slammer Live Liner, and the Shimano Bait Runner. What is your opinion and what size reel do I want to consider ?

I'll probably have questions about rods later.

Thank you for your time, Keith
Go with the tica rods,imho 7' for the pier,that will launch plugs and bottomfish for the blues,pups,pompano and spainish that you can catch with it.. On that rod,maybe a battle or fore mentioned spinfisher v.. In the 2500 size,balance should be perfect on a 7' rod.. jmho,put some 10lb fireline on it,should work well.. On the surfrod,go with an 8 or 9'er with a 4000 sized reel and some 14lb fireline on that.. Shouldn't break the bank,and those setups are about the same ones I use for both,in catching what you are after..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dd, good food for thought.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I am partial to Dawia spinning reels. For 8 to 10' rods I would recommend a 4500 to 6000 size reel. Sometimes a 6000 reel is lighter than a 5000 reel. Choices might include the Emcast Sport, Emblem Shot and Emblem Pro A.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For your purposes, you will be very well served with a Daiwa Tournament Whisker SS 2600. This reel is very lightweight, very tough, and it loves braided line. The spool design is well suited for long casts, and the reel also has drag and line capacity (with braid) enough to handle just about any big fish you might encounter in your endeavors.
In addition, this reel has been made for something like 30 years, so if you ever need parts they will be available.
Given the fish you described, I would look at a 7' rod on the pier and a 9' rod for the beach. If you can only have one rod for both, a 7' model would honestly work; an 8' rod rated to throw up to 2 oz. would be just about perfect. Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rebel. Lots of good suggestions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a couple Daiwa Saltist reels. they are well built and have awesome drag! I also have some smaller Quantum Cabo reels that are quality reels

·
Registered
462 Posts
Also Food for thought, take a look at the Penn Fierce Line of Reels I've found them to be a great bang for the buck,and very reliable

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Okuma Tundra or Avenger? Seem to be well priced and get decent ratings. Any recommendations on reel size for a 10 foot surf rod without getting too large? I think their sizes run 50 to 90.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What sizes do you guys use? Any issues? I've done a fair amount of research and I'm leaning heavily towards picking one of these up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts