Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 piece, cork grips, Model UEHA427402S

What type of spinning reel would you guys/gals recommend? I have not bought a spinner since 1986 and need some feedback on what is good and what is garbage. ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
sc. i see by your previous post that it is 9ft.i'd use the same reel you saw i had at IRI a couple months ago. a 460 penn slammer. put about half a spool of mono, and top it off with 20# power pro. casts great, and will handle a good fish. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BillR,

Thanks for your recommendation. I value it highly as I know the type of fishing that you do in Delaware, especially at IRI (My kind of fishing). Couple of questions on this reel:

1. Why did you go with the smaller reel (460 12/240 capability) compared to the 560 model which holds 325/12 lb test?

2. What about the 460L/560L Live Liner models? They are identical to the 460/560 except they have the free spool capability.

3. Have you tried the new Stealth line on your spinner?

4. Does PP give you better sensitivity when fishing bucktails in the fast current at IRI?

Thanks in advance. ;)

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joey,

My friend has a VS 150 in black that I would love to have for casting lures in the surf and at IRI jetty! Maybe, when I retire from the military next month and start making the big bucks, my wife will treat me to one! Matched with the 9' Tica rod that handles 1-3 oz, I think it would be the perfect matchup. ;) I would even think about using braided line (This would be a first for me) if I got that setup.

Father's day is right around the corner though.... :)

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Husky,

You bring tears to my eyes! :( The Zebco 202 was my first reel. After I buried it, I moved up to the 404 (Professional model) version. ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
sc. first, it is lighter, and holds all the line i need i put backing about 1/2 way and filled with just over 200yds of power pro. the penns have an excellent drag so a large reel with 4 or 500 yards of line is ridiculous. the live liner is great when using it when using in a set position.when fishing fast water you don,t want the live line feature. the rip tides at IRI, if using the liveliner feature, when a fish hit it you would have 100yds of line out before you knew you had a fish on. i like power pro because it is round and casts very well. :cool: :cool: :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.