Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 9' Tica spinning rod (1-3 oz) for $50 off Ebay and need some help picking out a good spinning reel for it. Intent is to have a reel that will enable me to cast lures from the jetty or surf (1-3 oz) and still work as a bait rod with 1-3 oz. I would like to do some live lining with this setup for stripers in the Fall too.

I have checked some of the sites for spinning reels that I think would be a good match up (capacity, weight, price, options). Of the following reels, could you please give my your option on reels that you can honestly vouch for (Reels that you have used). Thanks. :)

1. Penn Live Liner Model 4600L, 12/240 cap
  2. Shimano Baitrunner 4500B, 20/195 cap
  3. Daiwa Emblem-XT 4500T, 14/310 cap
  4. Fin-Nor Inshore 6000, 14/210 cap
  5. Mitchell Nautil 6500PV, 14/210
    [/list=a]

I intend on using 15 or 17 lb mono or 20 lb braid on it. Any special reel that works especially well with braided line?

Not looking for a Van Stall or Shimano Stella reel as I do not have the big bucks. ;)

Thanks again - Haven't bought a new spinning reel since 1986. ;)

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I use Shimano Baitrunners for almost everything in spinning, needless to say, I like them a lot.

I would probably use the 3500 if I was plugging and such, the 4500 for bait (which is what I use on my Tica 10'6")

My $.02

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I fish a 9' tica with a Fin Nor s500. I like the balance. I think you should go with a light reel (light physical weight, not light duty) for a good feel. The fin nor is smooth, light and cheap.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
If you are into livelining (baitrunners), Daiwa also makes a baitrunner. The only baitrunners I've seen in action are the shimanos and the okumas.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
There should be a rule against posting three posts in a row!

The Daiwa bite n run series. There is a Regal Bite and Run, a Sealine Bite and Run, and a grandwave bite and run. The sealine Bite and Run looks like a decent match.

You'd be the first person I know to get one! Digital dagger has it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You may want to consider the Okuma Epixor EB-50 reel for about $85. I use this reel exclusively on my 9' rod for the type of fishing you describe because of its capabilities including oversize drag and it performs flawlessly. If you can do without the baitfeeder function, there are a lot of good choices to consider. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looked into a couple of items - weight, waterproof, and line capacity. Only two reels meet this criteria - Van Stall ($$) and Mitchell Nautil. The Nautil is the only waterproof reel on the market less the VS.

Thanks everyone for your input :) - I will be picking up the Mitchell Nautil 6500 in the near future.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sandcrab,

I had the Nautil 6500 Pro GV (the faster black one) when it first came out last year. It was my favorite spinning reel until last year when the gears were stripped while battling a big ray. It's a common problem with the black 6500 Pro GV's (do a search on SOL about this problem). The 7500s and yellow 6500 don't suffer from this. Pure Fishing was happy to replace my reel with the yellow version. When it arrived, the sealed washer opposite of the handle was cracked. Again, Pure Fishing was happy to replace that part too. I wasn't happy with the newer model. It didn't feel as solid as the older one and for me the Nautil had too many problems and too much down time for a reel at that price. So I sold it. Pure Fishing is an awesome company, just wish I could say the same thing about the Mitchell Nautil (and Tica Libra!!! ).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is there a rule about posting two in a row? :confused:

Anyway, forgot to mention... you really don't get three spools with the Nautil. What you get is a spool system that includes a single base that attaches to each spool when you use it. If the base breaks, the spools are useless.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joey,

Read through dozens of posts on the Nautil reel - good and bad. Pretty much the same conclusion on all of them - If you have the bucks - get a VS. Otherwise, the Nautil (with all its problems) is the next best waterproof reel.

Other reels like the Fin Nor, Penn, Shimano do not even advertise their waterproof capabilites. I think the Fin Nor Ahab is a well built reel too but (1) very heavy and (2) Not really waterproof.

I am totally confused at this point. :eek:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sandcrab,

Try doing a search about the Penn Z series and how some anglers pack it with grease to waterproof it. You can even convert the reel to bailess making it the true "poor man's van staal" :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sandcrab, Why do you want/need a 100% waterproof spinning reel? Just curious. I saw a program on the Outdoor Life Network where a guy fishing for stripers at Montauk, New York was completely underwater at each passing wave. He definitely needed one.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joey,

I - like you - love to catch stripers (and blues) on lures - preferably topwater plugs. Last year I started to do some jetty fishing at IRI at night for stripers using topwater swimmers (Can you spell "BURPLE"?) and had a ball catching stripers (No cows just small ones so far) under the cloak of darkness. The new 9' Tica and reel (to be determined) will enable me to pursue jetty fishing at IRI without worrying about reel maintenance.

All the reels I've looked at or researched would probably not cut the mustard with the constant saltwater exposure. I also do some surf fishing with waders for schooling blues and this setup will be the perfect choice.

Just something I want to do... I'm even going to use (First time for everything) braided line! ;)

There's only two colors for night time striper fishing - black or burble... :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
WATCH OUT HOMOPHOBES!

Notice the commas there!
He did not say "Joey, I like you Love", but rather "Joey, I like you, love ...". You could still think he told Joey he liked him. Just don't mistake love.8(---)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
LMAO!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Glad you enjoyed that as much as I did. Actually, upon first read, I was confused. But, upon closer inspection, I realized Sandcrab is now the leading poster on a fishing site and he lives in Bowie now instead of Annapolis, so he could be err...crooked (opposite of straight).

Sandcrab, hope you like the 9' TICA with whatever reel you get. It is very hard for me to not go buy more of these $80 fin nor rods for $20 on ebay. The only thing keeping me from doing it is the knowledge that I'd have to buy more reels.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As you know, Joey is a dedicated, topwater lure fisherman. That was all I was eluding too...

The Tica was my first buy on Ebay and I think they gave me the rod as it was so cheap! It was fun to bid but I think it could become habit forming for some. If I didn't have 15 setups already I would be online bidding as we speak...

Hang in there and keep fishing! I'll be out of commission for awhile...

Hopefully, the Tank party will be a hit! If I could go, I would be there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts