Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting ready for my first year of Striper fishing off of the beach. I am looking to buy a spinning reel and a 2 piece rod(small car). All in all I am looking to spend around $150 or less since I am just beginning and not all that well off cash wise. I was wondering what you guys could recommend for the task. I don't want to end up with a piece of crap, if 150 isn't enough, please let me know.

Thanks for any help in the matter :cool:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi Sear,
Welcome to the forum. Where do you plan on fishing? Either way from the beach I would suggest at least a 10' and even better a 12' rod. I am partial to the Okuma solaris as well as the ocean master line of rods (although I don't own a OM, just have seen it in action). While the OM is fairly expensive the Okuma IMO is easy to throw and is reasonably priced. I also own a 10' Diawa Sealine X rod which is very good also.
As far as reels are concerned I have a Penn SS reel and a Diawa Emblem XT. I really like the Diawa as it is lightweight, easy to cast and reel.
I had just started surf fishing this season as well and I recieved recommendations from this board and I have been very pleased with the purchases.

In my opinion you choice of rod and reel is really what you want to get out of it. You can buy a really expensive or cheap setup but you can always find a place and time to catch some fish. Knowing how to throw the setup is very important. Distance and safety are key!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a good friend just getting into casting, and with the help of lots of people more knowledgeable than he or I, he's planning on getting an Okuma Solaris 12' and Daiwa EmblemX5500T or 6000T. The two together should run just under about 200.

Another option on the rod might be a Tica; either can be had a bit shorter if length is an issue for the car. (You can always strap a PVC tube to the roof if it's really an issue).

Another option for the reel is the Okuma Epixor, which seems pretty nice to me and is also highly spoken of in this forum, and is cheaper than the Daiwa.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would pick the Solaris over the Tica. Why, because it loads easier. That just my preference.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you keep yours eyes open on this site or e-abay you should be able to get a 10' 6" Tica or any of the other rods mentioned here for less than $100. I have seen them for $75 including shipping. The Daiwa emblem 4500T can be had for less than $100. I have landed Red Drum up to 44" with this outfit and I am no expert. If you cast like the average fisherperson, this reel holds over 300 yds of 17# test mono.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sear0bin, Do you intend to throw plugs or bait or both? Do you plan to fish the oceanfront or bay or both? Jettys, Piers? Decisions,decisions,.... Good question, as I look for the next weapon to add to the Arsenal. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys, thanks for all of the great ideas. i will run prices tomorrow when i'm bored at work :)

poleant: i plan on doing both plugs and bait. me and my friend usually fish oceanfront or jetties in the central jersey region.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Okuma Solaris

Sea Robin: Welcome to the board. I just purchased an Okuma Solaris 12' and will probably use my Penn 704Z..rod will run $99.99 @ Dick's Sporting goods...I already purchased an 8' Okuma Solaris this summer and it worked out pretty well at the Cape Henlopen Pier and short casting the suds for Kingfish and Croaker in the surf....we'll see how it does in the currents of IRI soon. Tightlines too all! Murphman:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I also have 12' Solaris and the 8'. The 8' Solaris has the Okuma Inspira IS-50, waterproof drag, 11 sealed ball bearing. I definately enjoy both but I think the 12' needs a baitfeeder. 150 could cover either if you get a cheaper reel. 12' distance, cutbait, surf, bay. . 8' plugs, bait , jetty , suds, inlet, pier, haven't had it on the boat yet. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
The best bargain I've seen in a while, is the 10' Ugly Stik.

Shark River and eAngler have them for $65.

For another $65 you can pick up a Shimano Baitrunner.

That leaves you with enough money for some "good" line.

With that outfit, you can handle any situation that comes along.

In Jersey, a 12' rod will be more trouble than it's worth.

The OBX is the only place on the Mid-Atlantic coast, where a 12'er is an advantage.

If you can scrape up yet another $65 you could up grade the reel to a Penn "Live Liner".

The Penn reels are a little pricey, but you'll have it for the rest of your life. And when your beard turns as gray as mine, you can brag on how long your Penn's been getting it done. (45 years, and counting)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Basspro has some excellent surf combos at reasonable prices.their combos w/Penn SS reels matched w/ their Ocean Master rods are nice. I wish I saw them before I bought some of my current equipment.On another note, in my opinion I'm not sure you want to go with a 12' rod unless you are strictly surf fishing w/high weight/n/bait,the 12 footer may be a little unweidly[sic] for someone just starting out.Definately not for jetty use.I like my Diawa Sealine X rods although they cant handle anything over 6oz.I have a 9,10, and 11' and like em all.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Just throwing in my 2 cents for your first Rod and Reel set up try going to your local tackle shop you might pay a little more, but you want to get to know him and when you buy more gear you look for deals but starting off most tackle owner will not only set you up right they want you to come back so most tackle shops will let you know were to fish and what to use and when to go. Once you get your feet wet you should then start bargin hunting. I think we all must remember if you like your local tackle shop you should try give him as much of your business as possible. I not say buy everything from them but if well constantly look for bargin that tackle shop might not be there one day when you need it.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Both plugs and bait on the beach...

sear0bin said:
...I plan on doing both plugs and bait. me and my friend usually fish oceanfront or jetties in the central jersey region.
Kind of tough to do three things with one rod - (1) Plugs and (2) bait on the beach....and (3) Fishing the jetties...

Plugs on the beach - 10' graphite rod (needs to be light)
Bait on the beach - 10'-12' rod
Jetties - 9'-10' graphite rod (needs to be light)

IMHO - Make sure to spend most of your money on a good, saltwater proof reel...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.