Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of Spinnerbait, Swimbait, or Crankbait, what do you think is better for smallmouth in a medium sized pond? Thank you!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I doubt that you'll find a whole lot of small mouth bass in medium sized ponds of DE or MD.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Pics? Location? Driving Instructions from Potomac MD?

Seriously I would go at them Smallies with a Muddler Minnow or a crayfish fly soaked in Crayfish Juice.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Any of them, and all of them are good choices for any bass, regardless of the type of water. Each has a different noise, vibration, profile & action, so why limit it to only one? Add a few jigs and you have a very good general selection of lures.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Old school baby. Mepps spinner bait. I'm surprised that there are smallmouth in a pond. They don't do well in still water - Largemouth yes!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Old school baby. Mepps spinner bait. I'm surprised that there are smallmouth in a pond. They don't do well in still water - Largemouth yes!
They do well in the big reservoirs, but I agree that unless the pond is fed by springs that might keep the water temps reasonable, they don't generally thrive in some place like MD or DE. I've read that ponds in some New England states may contain SM's, but those would also be ponds that are deep enough and cool enough to support trout and Lake Trout in some.

Inline spinners are certainly a good option. I never did well with Mepps, although they do have a great reputation. The only Mepps that I did use with success was the Comet Mino version. I've used Worden Roostertails for SM's, and have done well with them, although in streams & rivers, not in stillwater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts