Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi;

Bought a brand new Penn SSV3500 Spinfisher that I put on a an Ugly Stik Elite. I loaded it with .010 17lb Nanofil (which I have used on other reels without issues) and the line lay normal on the spool. Took it out yesterday and fished a DOA floating shrimp. Managed a fat 17" Spec trout with it after a few casts and thought ...game on. Managed a few more strikes and misses which were probably small trout. After a while I noticed that the line on the spool was angling near the base of the spool. I remembered that the reel came with a baggy with extra washers and adjustment instructions for spool line lay so I figured I would have to do just that.

When I got home I read the instructions and the diagram showed I needed to remove the installed washer and replace it with the washer in the bag. There are two washers in the bag, a thin one and a thicker one; great. The instructions indicated that I needed to shorten the stack where the spool rides so I thought ok I'll remove the installed washer and install the thin washer. Upon removing the spool I found both a thin and thick nylon spacer washer were already installed. So I removed the thin washer and did not add anything. Today I will go out with my bag of three washers and try it until I can get the line to lay correctly.

When I installed the line I did so under some light finger pressure and the line lay correctly, but when jigging lures back in there is no pressure since I'm only reeling in the slack and the line gravitated towards the base of the spool. This confounds me that it lays correctly under slight pressure but incorrectly under jigging retrieve type pressures. Anyone with Spinfishers experience this?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Welcome to the world of some braids and some reels that want to act stupid with braid. The only reels that I have found that will lay it back right are the Diawa's. Have had most everything out there and Daiwa's and most Abu spinners have given me ZERO line lay issues.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
after every ffew casts you can bomb one out and then reel in under pressure to get things back right as well. If the line spooled correctly under pressure then the washers were correct so go back to the original configuration.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It's the nano fil .I had the same experience with my stradics and batlles it's more flat then round of a line . So it will lay funny.. Try power pro..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Didn't have the issue with Nanofil on my Pfleugers but suspect that might be the case with the Spinfisher. Went out today and the line was still stacking so I went to remove the thick nylon washer and discovered it was actually two nylon washers. Total count of nylon washers was three installed and two in the bag from the factory. I pulled one off leaving one on and the line did not stack as bad and is ok. I'll just need to remember that when I spool anything different I may need to add washers back on.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I had a monofilament line lay problem with a Daiwa BG 30. After consulting with Alan Hawk, I believe the problem was with the reel itself. The reel was missing a spool washer and adding a washer would have only made the problem worse. I returned the reel. Try different line or just return it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Every Penn reel Ive ever owned had line lay issues. Its still my brand of choice and I'll continue buying them.. however you gotta tinker with washers to get good line lay. So far my conflict 4000, battle 6000 and ssv 6500 all had more line up top.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Every Penn reel Ive ever owned had line lay issues. Its still my brand of choice and I'll continue buying them.. however you gotta tinker with washers to get good line lay. So far my conflict 4000, battle 6000 and ssv 6500 all had more line up top.
That would drive me bonkers. I couldn't stand there and fish with a reel like that. Must be OCD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts