Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals, I need some help/advice. I am getting a nice chunk of change in 2 weeks from Uncle Sam (the same guy I work for), and I wanted to know, if you HAD the money, what new rod/reel outfit would you purchase?

I am hoping this post brings lots of advice/info. :confused: If you have a preferred vendor to purchase from, that would be helpful as well.

Oh yeah, I'm moving to Pensacola, FL in April (first week), for shore duty at the "AB" schoolhouse. I'm going to try to get some training done in between fishing :D LOL

Anyway, please, let me know what kinds of outfits you think are "ideal". I don't have anything for "heavy" fishing... just a couple of open bails I bought from the exchange... so that's more of what I'm looking for. :cool:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Are you looking for surf(long rods) or inshore? What type of lures or bait rigs are you going to use? How long are you going to be there? I would guess inshore rods with Pensacola. Also how much are you willing to spend. My go to rod for down there would be my GLoomis SUR1023 it has a Stradic 4000 on it. As far as local shops I like Bishop's in lower York Co. Lighthouse and Princess Anne in Va Beach. Back to one of the questions I asked is how long are you going to be there because sometimes gear can specialized to a area. The best example is the Hatteras Heaver 8-12 oz is not required in many other places.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey fishing squid. I was at the school house for crash training in 2000. I brought my 7' ugly stik. I didn't have anything else at the time, but a 9' or bigger rod would have been nice to have. Fish the beach behind the ballfields and the pier across from the Recruiting School. On the base you can expect to catch spanish, blues, flounder, red drum, permit, jacks, white trout, sea mullet, pin fish, sharks, saltwater catfish. On the bridge pier heading to the beach I saw a guy catch a 40# king mack while pin rigging. It ran him at least 150 yards down the bridge until he finally got it to the gaff. My opinion is have a light tackle outfit and and something longer for added distance. 6nbait is probably all you will need. Good luck with your decision and have fun down there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hey just moved back to va about a year ago from fort walton beach
its about 20 min from pensacola
but used to fish all means you need some light tackle to fish flats and such id recomend an ultralight with 6# flourocarbon
to catch cigar minnows and squid,pop eyes and such bait when on pier saves money on bait. and you need a good rod and reel i ended up choosing penn 8500 on 8' rod the key is a reel that hold considerable line
you will catch 75+# tarpon off the pier and bonita spanish amberjack. ive caught 40+# king mackrel jack crevell 7' sharks mahi mahi the ocassional tuna you just never know what you might hook in too.once caught a king mackreland a dolphin ate the mackrel and my hook. that was a good twenty second fight. just bring extra spools of line when ya fish have been spooled a few times. good luck ! the gulf stream is right off beach if you would like tackle ideas let me know [email protected]
:D if you cant tell i miss the place and the fishing

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fishing Squid, you say that you don't have anything for "heavy fishing"? What type of fishing will you be doing?

Best to wait and see what everyone else is using down south before buying. Though one outfit I would definitely buy is a good baitcasting outfit consisting of a 17-20lb class rod/reel of at least 8-11' med action rod and matching ambassadeur reel.

Be aware that some rods are known by names unique to the local area. For instance a rod known as a "heaver" here in Virginia and NC is known as a "bridge rod" in Florida, a "long rod" in Texas, and and is comparable to an "u'lua rod" in Hawaii. Though these hawaiian rods used to fish for giant u'lua (trevelle jack) (btw, not pronounced jack trevelle) make the heaviest heavers found in our region look like ultra-light rods!

Hawaiin Ulua fishing:

Tight lines!

Lou

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. It helps out a lot when people who've "been there" give you advice, which is exactly why I put the post on here.

I was in P-cola for a few weeks in 1999 to attent "C" school, and now I'm going back as an Instructor for 3 years. I fished next to the CoastGuard boats, and "netted" plenty of sea mullet (first time I ate any was from there). Caught 2 spanish and a nice flounder from there as well. Honestly, the water would get DARK from the amount of mullet in the water.

Anyway, I "know" where to get bait, so that isn't an issue. Although, I'm interested in learning how to catch cigar minnows and squid, so if you want to send me some info on that, [email protected] is my e-mail addy.

I think I'm going to hunt down an 8' rod with a decent Penn Reel on it. I've never used a Penn before, so it'll be interesting. LOL I might get one BEFORE I head south, so I can practice! LOL

Wish I was around for the CCA show. I'll be down there on House Hunting leave, so I'll miss it for sure. Maybe I can talk my dad into taking my boat (little 16' with a 20Hp on it) down there to play around in...

Anyway, thanks for the post. Sheoless and Fish N Fool, we need to hook up! I'll bring the maps and high lighters, you bring all the good spots! Haha

Dan

·
Registered
191 Posts
hey zup fishing squid
the way we would catch cigar minnows was take
4 to 8 # flourocarbon and rig it like a sabaki rig with about 5 to 8 small gold hooks
and a 1 ounce weight the key to it all is flourocarbon lines it makes a diffrence between skunk and fish .
the technique is just to twitch the line with a little bounce same technique is used for live squid in the cold months but rather than the small gold standard hook you use a small gold treble hook the two types of hooks are 1/2 inch or less in size you almost need a needle to thread the line but is efective bait catcher
whats really fun is when a using 6 # line on a ulra lite rod and you hook 20# bonita or 2 or 3 spanish off of a hook with nothing on it. but anyways good luck on your journey fishing is good all year in the pan handle enjoy! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I get back to VA from house hunting leave, we gotta get together Fish N Fool! I am also thinking about getting a 10' or 12' cast net, for those schools of mullet that run through the base. I have a nice rig picked out on cabelas. Just waiting til the 21st when the money hits the bank. LOL

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts