Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Son caught a 25 inch Speckled Trout, 6+ lbs last night right off the Air Station on New River ... I see now I should have taken him to a weigh station.
We were fishing with live mullet. He was pulling in after getting messed with by a crab and the Trout hit a moving target.
My question is will these trout hit the same type of plugs the blues go after or should I be using something else?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The few trout I've fooled. I got on jigs...1/2 oz ,red head,green body with red tail....and 1/2 oz ,red head,white body with a red tail. All my other trout were taken with live shrimp. Seems like the hot coler this year from the people I've talked to, has been Electric Chicken. Yes, a 25" Spec is very uncommon. My best so far is only about 18".
Never have got any on mullet...but hear it can be productive at times.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Don't know about "vice versa" but blues will hit anything a speck will,including the speck!! :rolleyes:
Sometimes specks are picky rascals,and you have to use colors that you wouldn't normally use for,say bluefish and such.. I generally use grubs and fin s body's on a jig (red,white,or plain lead gray)head.. At times,a miror lure has no equal.. And when available,live baits such as mullets,shrimp,or pinfish work great. Variables could be wind,current,water depth,water color,and how much grass you have to deal with..
PS Tell that youngen he caught a nice'n,biggest I've ever caught was 5 and a quarter.. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I usually catch them with lures. I use this grub I call the producer (secret weapon) it is the 4" power grub, Powerbait rootbeer color. Red jig head. Or the Storm Wildeye curl tail minnow, pearl color. Both worked very well at night or day in the grass, oyster beds where ever. Stripers in the 6lb club like em also. Good Luck!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Specks love plugs, but it seems to be the larger ones that hit them. MirrOlures are indeed tops, especially red head/white speck bodies, but black and purple do well at night. Although I believe color matters I think people place too much importance on it sometimes--shape and size seem to be the big factors. Grubs, strip plastics, and bucktails all work at times. But the big specks are all loner females and like a big fish bait, either a live baitfish or a big plug.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think they like the noisemakers best when its dark or low light, but I prefer...

!!!Gold spoons!!!

Pulled through the water slow...but just fast enough to stay a bit off the bottom. Cast over grasses, right into weed banks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts