Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure some of you jig for Spanish with tree rigs. It's about time for the Spanish to start running good again in September, and I'll be at the beach after them.

I always tie my own rigs but I can't find the coffee stirrer straws anywhere (I like straws over the tubes 110%). Does anyone have any good sources for them?

If you tie these rigs and have more coffee straws than you need, please PM me. I'm looking for red, white with red stripes, and yellow if possible. They need to be coffee stirrer sized, not drinking straw size.

For anyone who doesn't know, this is what I'm talking about. The ones you see in stores are usually surgical tubing, but these work much better, IMO. It's kinda like a big sabiki rig, sometimes a plain lead is used as the weight, sometimes a metal plug, like a diamond jig, stingsilver, ect.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have seen those but never even used them. On a scale of 1-10 compared to a jerk jigger, where would you put them in relation to their effectiveness? You catch other species besides spanish mackeral on them?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You catch blues, grass shad (fowl hooked), and anchovies(fowl hooked). The bait like the gold flashing from the hooks. Seen a few pomps caught on them too, heard of a few whiting.

I haven't used Gotchas while the Spanish are running good so I don't know, but I caught my limit in a few hours with them the first time ever fishing for Spanish. The key every time I've seen them caught is 1 hour before til 1.5-2 hours after high tide, and the water needs to be clear.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To tie one, you thread on however many hooks you want, with the straws already over them, then tie a lead/metal plug to the loose end, then go up 14-18", make a loop knot with the first hook/straw, go up 8-12", make another one, ect, ect. Then tie a swivel on the end (leave about 18-24" from the last hook so the swivel isn't in the water, they'll bite them off).

To work it, set your reel over the pier railing and hold on to the butt end of the rod. Most people use 10-14 foot rods, it really needs to be spinning. Drop in the rig, you want the top hook to be barely under the waters surface while the butt is pushed down (lifting the tip). Then just jig it up and down by raising and lowering the butt of the rod, doing it fairly quickly. It really doesn't require much effort at all, your arm doesn't really get tired either.

A nice tip is to get a little screw in U shaped thing, coated in rubber, I forget what they're called, but you screw that into the railing and set the rod in that, it helps save your rod from wear and tear.

Hold onto the rod, I stand with a few fingers on the part that comes down from the reel seat to the reel and my right hand on the rod butt (I'm right handed). When he hits, grab the rod and reel him up fast and get him over the railing. You'll know when he hits. If it feels harder to pull it up, reel it up, you probably have a grass shad or some little baitfish on it. Rehook them through the nose if they're small enough and jig with them, it's even better.

·
Registered
604 Posts
only with them is a few more cut offs and the ocasional huge tangle when more than one fish gets on. other than that works very good. still like a jerkjigger better.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep you do get cut off every now and then. But if you tie your own, take more than you think you need and when the line gets frayed, put a new one on. Some people tie a loop on the top of the rig, and then tie a snap swivel to their main line. That lets you change them out faster.

It is fun when you get 2 or 3 fish at once though. You're right though, gotta be careful taking them off. ;)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
i simply use neon (chartuese, pink) and american straws(striped blue and white and red and white). i would say got-cha plus will produce more consistantly but tree rigs will catch as many fish. got-cha plug is casted out far and cover water, but can only catch one fish(k, maybe 2), while a tree rig can catch as many as however many hooks you have, but covers less water. as for species, i have seen plently of pomps caught(1 pound or better), some spades, the biggest whiting i have ever seen, trout(just cast the rig out and leave it there without bait, trout will come and bite it for no reason), blues and spanish, of course, and flounder if you have a jig at the end.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
McDonald's here has the red and white striped straws. Other places use yellow and red striped straws. I usually get extra straws when I'm at either of these places and pack them away.

Smooth, I'd just check around at Dollar Stores/WalMart/doughnut shops for the stirrers. Try a Party Shop? I was looking for some things for my folks' anniversary party, and party shops sometimes have things other places don't.

The only things I'd add to Smooth's description of making them is (1) I use black barrells on the top so as to not have as much flash to avoid possible biteoffs (2) I tie dropper loops and affix the hooks to the rigs with Palomar knots. There are many variations of these rigs. Over on the SC board recently, we were discussing using Mylar on the hooks as well.

Smooth, what is that styrefoam (sp?) thingie you have there, and where'd you get it? I am still using baggies. That thing you have is pretty spiffy!!! :)

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a pool noodle (the big long things kids play with in the pool, with a hole down the middle). Get the small size, they're like a dollar and are probably 5-6 feet. Stick the lead/jig in the middle, wrap the leader around pinning the hooks as you go, on the last one hook the loop under the last hook. Unroll it 1 hook at a time in order, then clip on and drop over. You gotta keep these thing stretched out the whole time you're using them, if you get a tangle it's about over, lol.

The piers charge $4-5 for these, so making your own really helps.

That's a good idea with tying the hooks on to a dropper instead of putting them on the actual rig. I like that. I'll post pics of some of my newer ideas for these rigs tomorrow. I do a lot of fly and jig tying so I've been mixing some ideas.

I've looked at Walmart and all they have is brown ones. Will nab a few "extras" at McDonalds next time I get coffee. I'd really like to get my hands on the yellow ones though. I'll put the party stores on my shopping list, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
It's a pool noodle (the big long things kids play with in the pool, with a hole down the middle). Get the small size, they're like a dollar and are probably 5-6 feet.
I'm just not very creative!!!! WOULDA NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just not very creative!!!! WOULDA NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!

Thanks
No problem. I didn't think of it, the guy that sales the rigs to the piers/bait shops did, but I don't mind using the idea. :D Just cut 'em down to size. Works great for other premade rigs, too.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Someone (I think it was blue) posted over on the SC board about using a Gotcha on the bottom, rather than a sinker. That's a good idea, too. DOH! again. I've always used pyramids or bank sinkers.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That could work, but I'd hate to lose one. Plus they might be a bit light, the rigs I use have 3 oz pyramids or 2 oz jigs on them. I guess you could make a lighter one but I like the fall rate of 2 and 3 oz.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Yeah, Smooth, that's true. Sometimes I use a diamond jig. I'll bet large bucktails would work, also. The man who introduced me to this technique many moons ago liked to use smaller hooks - size 4. The hooks are gold. I use a size 2 or size 1, but I have seen folks go up to 1/0. I always use an "even" number of hooks on the rig, also - 4 or 6. The hooks on Smooth's pic look like they may be larger than 1/0 (hard to tell).

Here are a couple of threads from the SC board discussing these rigs (for folks who are interested):

http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55151

http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52042

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
what size hooks do you use wat style
Mine are 2/0 Eagle Claw aberdeens. Gotta be gold no matter what you pick. The ones you buy from the piers are bigger, around 3/0. I have some with smaller hooks I'll post a little later today.

Since I tie my own bucktails, I will try jigging with one and see what happens.

Oh and I was looking for the bright colored straws, I found some, just search for bar straws instead of coffee stirrers. Coffee stirrers will get you all the white w/ stripe and solid red ones that you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Straw Jigs

I found the straws in assorted colors in the mixer section of a grocery store. Close to the Margarita salt and such.It has been a couple years since then. Had to be a hundred or so in the package. I still have a bunch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts