Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this belongs on the Boating forum, dunno, so move it if need be Mods.

Anywho, I'm in the process of buying some spear-fishing gear as I had a blast last year out at the Light Tower pegging some Spades. It's rather exhilarating diving down and harassing those feeshies. I will admit the Pucker Factor can red-line when spying large, ominous shapes gliding below the school. :eek:

So to my question. When do the Spades show up in force doing laps around the Tower? We hit 'em good in mid-June.

I'll post up for some "Ho's" that want to become bait when the boat set's sail this summer.

Talk to ya'll soon!

Skunk

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'm no expert spade fisherman, and I've never been spear fishing for them. I go whenever I get an invite, and it seems like June is when we usually go as well. If I had some spear fishing gear, I'd love to try it out. I've fished for them more at the fourth island than I have at the CLT, but hopefully I'll be able to try them more at the tower this year. Most of my boat fishing was offshore, or in the bay last year. I don't even think I stopped and fished the tower one time in 08. Looks like spear fishing would be a good time. I used to get upset when we pulled up to the tower a little late, and divers would have red flags up in a spot I wanted to get to!!!LOL Guess if you can't beat em, join em, right? Hopefully somebody else can give you some better info. on the spades. Skunk, what all would I need to pick up to get started spear fishing. Spear gun, face mask, fins, what else would I need. Where do you guys buy your gear, and can I get started without breaking the bank..

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skunk, what all would I need to pick up to get started spear fishing. Spear gun, face mask, fins, what else would I need. Where do you guys buy your gear, and can I get started without breaking the bank..
We use "Hawaiian Slings". You can pick one up at Lynnhaven Dive Center for like $35. Fins/Mask/Snorkel can be found cheap in craigslist.com. Come on out this summer, it's Seaworld without the $7 beers!!

Thats one heck of a paddle from Chix to the CLT there SA. :p
I made it there in one hour on performance enhancing drugs last year! Just kidding off course. JimmyJimmy did it two years ago on a yak, but got picked up by a good samaritan on the way back.

Skunk

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I might have to go out there with you guys this summer Skunk!! Sounds like a good time. I'll see about getting some gear some time soon, and keep an eye out for when you guys are looking for "HO'S". I'll put gas in the boat, and maybe buy some beer or something.

·
Registered
998 Posts
hey skunk, i think the state record Mako was caught at the light tower. something like 1000lbs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
hey skunk, i think the state record Mako was caught at the light tower. something like 1000lbs.
I fished the CLT the year Poacher Sport fishing put that video up of a1800- 2000lb Great White swimming N 12 miles off Corrolla. I wish I could put up that link but this was back in 04. Anyway, we were out at the CLT the next day which was directly in that sharks path if she stayed on her current heading. Some fella was out there swimming around and all a.m. all I could think about was, "I wonder if that sharks nearby?" :rolleyes:

Ben

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good way to go bro!!

Seriously, I'd like some folks to pitch in for a boat run out there. I'm not chiting around. We're not lackadaisical about whaling on some side eyes or stupid about safety. Safety first...laughs and brews later. Come one..come all, get a side-eye...big or small. :beer:

Skunk

·
Registered
200 Posts
The previos posts were correct the water temp is what you need to watch right around 70 is what your waiting for. the 3rd and 4th islands usally have large concentrations of them for all the summer months as well. Being close to the tower isn't alway nessary just sit close and watch your fishfinder they roam around and usally larger fish. You can avoid the tower and the crowd all together by hitting a nearshore wreck and get into the spearing away from the fleet and bigger fish too!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The previos posts were correct the water temp is what you need to watch right around 70 is what your waiting for. the 3rd and 4th islands usally have large concentrations of them for all the summer months as well. Being close to the tower isn't alway nessary just sit close and watch your fishfinder they roam around and usally larger fish. You can avoid the tower and the crowd all together by hitting a nearshore wreck and get into the spearing away from the fleet and bigger fish too!!!!!!
I did dive inshore (islands & the CBBT) a lot last summer, and it's just way too spooky for me. You can't see your ars from 13th street under water out there. Who knows what kind of tempestuous pelagic was sniffing my brown star, and I didn't even know it. :D

Skunk

·
Registered
71 Posts
SkunkApe, I have logged many dives at the CLT. The spadefish are great, but if you dip down to the bottom there are usually some really nice jacks.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
state record MAKO in VA was 77lbs. I'd be more worried about BULLS. They get 8' or so. There have been reports of big sharks in the bay, to 12'+. Tiger, most likely. I'll stay on the boat,lol. 70+ and the spades will show up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts