Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't come up with much, but I was wondering if anyone catches spadefish regularly at Seagull Pier. I have heard that some boaters catch them around the CBBT islands but not in the numbers like the Chesapeake Light Tower. Anyways, would it be worth targeting spades on the pier there or would it be a long shot? Although I saw someone do it at the Chesapeake Light Tower, I'm not crazy enough to take my jon boat out to the CBBT;)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have seen some spadefish caught but not in great numbers. The most that I have seen in one day was 2. My guess is that no one really targets them there. I have tried to catch some myself with small pieces of small clam but only ended up with small sea bass. I heard that small pieces of jelly fish work great but have no way of catching them. Hope this helps.
-Anthony

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Spades

With my experieince w/ Spades.There are pound for pound one of the hardest hitting ,and fighting fish to catch.Awesome on lite tackle.
I guess if you were to target them @ Sea-gull,you can probably hook up one with the same method of putting an in-line bobber on your Leader with a least a 1 oz(if you can find them)slip shot,and let the current dangler your chowder clam to unsuspecting schools of spades,but you might run into the problem of the fish running under the pier or towards other peoples lines.So lite tackle may not be the answer.

But the key for success with fishing for Spades(through my experiences) is that,they are truley leader shy.I fished for them 1 year with both Mono leaders and Fluoro leaders,and The flouro leaders were getting the most hits.......

Oh by the way,when I was younger,we took my buddy's old aluminum bass boat to the tower.A little ruff,and the weather co-operated,but would not suggest going out,if the waves are more than 1 foot high........
That's my .02 cents:---> :--->

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.