Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why has the predominantly southwest winds slowed up the fishing? I've heard just about everybody blame the winds for the slow down but I've not heard an explanation of why.

Last year I heard lots of blame placed on the predominately east wind.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Weli here's my take on it.
In the surf a southwest wind makes the water dirty and calm. Both of the things are bad for fishing. An east wind blows in clear water and it is usually warmer in the summer. A Northeast breeze in the fall blows in clear, clean water and it is cooler which starts feeding thing before the fish start migrating. A Southeast wind at the Point in Hatteras puts Drum on the beach. The South beach in Hartteras runs East West, so a Southeast breeze down there is onshore and produces the same effect as a Northeast breeze here. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
823 Posts
thats as good a theory as any!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Winds push the surface water along in the same direction that they are blowing. Thus a westerly wind will push water in that direction. Along our beaches a westerly wind will push the warm surface water out to sea, and it is replaced with cooler "bottom" water that is also usally turbid from wave action. Many times you'll see the effects of a westerly wind on our beach water - muddy cooler water extending out a few hundred feet from the beach forming a mudline.

An easterly wind has the opposite effect.

Lou

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
An easterly wind also keeps the baitfish stacked-up on the beach, where the west wind does the opposite. Same thing if you're fishing in the bay, the wind steers the surface waters and that's usually where the bait stays, especially near the beach and the shallower waters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts