Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that all new reels come with really thin oil to lube the bearigns with :mad:

IMHO the oil supplied is far too thin for Tournament Casting let alone Fishing.

I could be missing the point in that they have tied up with the line manufacturers.

Reels too fast = BIG birdsnests.

What are your thoughts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Andy
Charlie P and I were talking about this oil thing the other day and I tell you the truth the thicker oil doesn't work well for me for some reason. I've tried it a couple time and each time my distance drops. My reels are set up super fast and well balanced. As for birds nest I don't seem to have anymore than other people. I use the Tournament oil that you seem to dislike so much. You know that $10.00 crap as you called it at the last seminar. I see post from the Jersie guys and others saying how well thicker oil works for them. Maybe I am missing something or using the wrong thicker oil . I am getting close to that goal I thought I would never reach and perhaps getting this right will help get me get there. As you know I practice a lot and I'm not looking for a magical 10 or 20 extra feet. I just want my equipment set up the best way possiable. I would like to give this thicker oil another shot. Your advise as always would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob S

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bob, don't change a thing

The thin oil is working for you right now. You might play around with the heavier oils but I would wait until the temperature goes up a bit in the spring. I was 20 clicks off and was still able to get the mags all the way off on Sat with the heavy oil, I'm sure the temp being about 35 was a factor. I usually cast at about 8 to 10 off in the light wind we had and I am set up N.J. style with really heavy oil.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Hey Bob...

Sounds like you are making strides. Been in the field pretty regular myself here lately. Caught a cold day last week with a 18 mph wind and hit a new PB..... :)

Looks like the NC longcasters could be tough to handle in 04.

Tommy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bob, what ever is working, stick with it. Conn has the thickest in the group, with Jimmy and I being being more towards the center and my dad using the thinest - sounds like we are comparing willies:eek: . I'm using around a fifty weight oil so that should give some idea. I think a few things play into the heavier oil success - I think casting style and where you apply power plays a role in success with thicker or thinner oils and I'm not sure it is so easy to go from one to the other without a period of adjustment, you have got to use less mags. with the thicker oils and this takes some playing around with to get it right since your adjusting your intitial mag. setting way more towards off than with thinner oils, and air temp. plays a role also. Temps. under 45F make these thicker oil reels very slow, I believe the ideal range of temps are at 55F to 70F, and really hot weather has them running fast. During last July's Open, I had to ice my reel to slow it down since I had no more room to turn the one mag I run in the reel closer to the spool. Iceing worked.

Bring your rods with you when your up in Medford or Marlton and will all hit the field.

Bill Jr.

·
Registered
375 Posts
THE REASON IS.....

The reason reels in the box have thin oil is so that when a customer picks it up and spins it - as we all do - it spins forever. Would you buy a multiplier that only spun for 5 seconds out of the box?
A little sales psychology I believe - actually I know this for a fact - BB

·
Registered
578 Posts
Tommy does that mean I have a new convert to slower reels .
The reason I went to slow reels was two fold , Neil and Andy had already got me going in the slow reel direction and i usually used red rocket but like Tommy my best casts were all done in cold weather (under 40deg ) when my reels where positively sluggish . Sometimes so slow that after the lead hit the ground on a 700+ cast I didn't have to thumb the reel to stop it . This is why i went to extra heavy oil as I wanted the same control during the tournament season when we usually cast in warmer weather than my early season practice .
Some thing to remember when compairing oil viscosity between UK and US , our oil is rated on the SAE system and the UK uses ISO (metric) system

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Conn,

Not always, some oil is still shown in it's SAE spec.

Here is a picture of my winter casting oil.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks familiar!

That looks remarkable similar to the pack I have in my shed - SAE 30 anyway - bought in 1983. Nothing is new in life! BB

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for all the info. This was a great thread for all casters. I think I'll take Charlie's advise for right now. He has helped me a lot this winter with my casting. I wish I could help him as much as he has helpped me.
Maybe when I get to Jersey youse guys can help me set up one of my reels with the thicker oil to play around with. Bill Jr. I'll bring my rod next weekend. Hope the temps go up a little. Willie's?That was funny.
Tommy With Mike comming back and we will be a pretty good team. Glad to hear you are doing well. Keep it up. How is Tony and Charlie F doing?
Bob S

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Conn -

No convert here. I still run my reel pretty hot. Got a mix of yellow and tourney in it for the cold and run yellow in the warmer weather. Start 1/4 turn off and stiil get the mags all the way off by the end of the cast. It was COLD (well by NC satandards) when I was casting last sat (10th). 33 deg with a 18 mph wind. Took a long sleeve t shirt and TWO sweatshirts...lol The cold air just seems to carry better to me.

Bob,

Look forward to Mike being back. I hope you guys can all make it down to wilm for the SE. Charlie is working on the backcast when he can get out there. Big T is hitting earls raptor pretty good.

Can't wait for the tourney season to start.

Tommy

·
Registered
578 Posts
Andy , you have the wrong oil , it should be 2 stroke . O and I got that dig at the romans(Fannelii) , not sure if any one else did , the contriversey didn't make it here .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts