Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back BM(before Marriage)& BH(bad health)I spent 8 seasons fishing these 2 places.When I wasn't FEing C5A/Bs I was fishing and it was mostly one or the other.
IRI if you don't want to get seriously injured wear Jetty cleats!!!!!! Only when the tide is low and the sea flat is the NJ dry.98% of the time water is splashing on the rocks somewhere and they will be SLICK.
The west pocket at the USCG Station is another good place for floater/diver type lures;especially on the flood tide early/late and at night.
Don't ignore the ocean side of the jetty,start right at the white water and fan cast the area move work the inlet side the the ocean side again.Make sure to run a few casts parallel to the jetty.
The ocean side is also prime pluggin territory. One lure many people over look with all this fancy"new" stuff is the old Red Fin.Many don't like 'em because they cast so poorly but distance is rarely a factor there so use it.You can"sweeten" the action by adding/shifting weight.Replace the front hook with a 3x 3/0 and watch the wake on a slow retrieve.Killer!!
RI can be a real pi$$er.Limited parking,limited fishing space, lots of"tourist fishermen",BAD hangs around the old downed steel sheathing jetty.But can be "heavenly"especially from late Aug. till the baitfish leave.
While most fish bait lures can be used with incredable success.Most use bucktails/jigheads but I've caught fish till I had to stop from fatigue when using a 1/2 or 3/4 oz Rat-L-Trap or that type of lure fishing the ebb tide on the down-tide side of that old jetty.Trout, bass, blues, flounder(big ones up to 41 inches but averaging in the high 20's).
Last November I took my son down there,he's 20yo now,and schooled him in the"factors"of fishing RI. Then put him out with his new rod I'd built for him and some Traps and surface plugs.In 10 minutes he'd lost 5 Rat-L-Traps, so much for my instruction,so he put on a Mirro Lure"She Dog" in Black with a chartruse head, 23 stripers later it was too dark to see and was raining.
He went back 2 days later and again the day after;total= 73 stripers, most just under the limit but still brought home 2 each trip.
So RI can produce when time,tide,and low boat/fishing pressure co-inside.
Hope this dissertation will be of some help. Neil/reelseat

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good info, but don't cast on the ocean side of the South jetty during lifeguard/swimming season unless you are out towards the end. You'll get a friendly whistle the first time, didn't try it again to find out what they may do.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Outstanding info on IRI and RI! :) I'm looking forward to trying RI and Cape Henlopen this year and appreciate all the good stuff.

IRI is already my favorite place to fish - and I just started fishing there last year! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts