Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to be doing some fishing on a friends boat Monday. as i said before i am new to this area and new to saltwater fishing he is also new to all of this, so if anyone would oblige giving some info on some holes and what type of bait we should be using would be greatly appreciated. i know how it is giving up some sweet spots, im not asking for secrets just some general areas. we were thinking of hitting up the CBBT and the vicinity. we would like to catch some striper, specks or red drum but really anything will do. thanks to anyone who responds with helpful info.:fishing:

Brandon.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If your going to be out in the evening cast some platics to the islands. I know they are kill'n em out there at night. Wednesday there were fish at the third island in the 40" range on the top. Guys were catchin em using large topwater plugs. Get you some storm lures in the 5-6 inch range and sling em up in the rocks as well. During the day you can troll or buy some fresh bunker from the baitshack in p-town and do some chunking. Just put it on a fishfinder rig and toss upcurrent of the bridge. Good Luck and report back if you go.

Ben

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Out Sick gave some great advice. They've been catching some schoolies early am on topwater plugs as well. It can be hard giving advice to a complete newbie, because nobody wants to be responsible for you guys going out there and getting skunked. I'd launch out of Bubbas or Crab Creek(Lynnhaven). Depending on what time you are going, maybe see what you can do in the inlet on mirrolures, soft plastic grub jigs, or spec rigs. Late evening, overnight, or early morning is going to be your best bet for striper. Try topwater plugs around the third and fourth islands at dawn and dusk. Your fish finder is your friend. Try to mark fish around the third and fourth islands of the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Maybe try 3/4-1oz jig heads(white and red are two of my favorites) with a 5" gulp jerk shad in pearl white or nuclear chicken(everybody has their favorite contrast soft plastic, and it doesn't have to be gulp). Inside the 3rd might be a good bet at night. Once you mark fish on your fishfinder, figure out which way the current is flowing, anchor up near the pilings, throw your jig up current, let it drop to the bottom, and jig it back in. Again, if you go out there and get skunked, I can't be held responsible, lol... Good luck, and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out Sick gave some great advice. They've been catching some schoolies early am on topwater plugs as well. It can be hard giving advice to a complete newbie, because nobody wants to be responsible for you guys going out there and getting skunked. I'd launch out of Bubbas or Crab Creek(Lynnhaven). Depending on what time you are going, maybe see what you can do in the inlet on mirrolures, soft plastic grub jigs, or spec rigs. Late evening, overnight, or early morning is going to be your best bet for striper. Try topwater plugs around the third and fourth islands at dawn and dusk. Your fish finder is your friend. Try to mark fish around the third and fourth islands of the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Maybe try 3/4-1oz jig heads(white and red are two of my favorites) with a 5" gulp jerk shad in pearl white or nuclear chicken(everybody has their favorite contrast soft plastic, and it doesn't have to be gulp). Inside the 3rd might be a good bet at night. Once you mark fish on your fishfinder, figure out which way the current is flowing, anchor up near the pilings, throw your jig up current, let it drop to the bottom, and jig it back in. Again, if you go out there and get skunked, I can't be held responsible, lol... Good luck, and let us know how you did.

HAHAHA yeah and if i get skunked then i would totally have to yell at you about it being your fault... I'll tell you what anything would be better than what i have been getting. i haven't landed any keeper since i started in on the reds and specks. besides its no ones fault but the fish and your own for not being in the right place at the right time.

We are planing on going out early a.m. but it is still up in their on where were going to launch. im thinking little creek anphib base, its right in the center of both bridges.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You don't necessarily have to motor to the islands... there are plenty of fish at the Lesner Bridge right at the boat ramp. Net yourself some mullet and live line them.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
HAHAHA yeah and if i get skunked then i would totally have to yell at you about it being your fault... I'll tell you what anything would be better than what i have been getting. i haven't landed any keeper since i started in on the reds and specks. besides its no ones fault but the fish and your own for not being in the right place at the right time.

We are planing on going out early a.m. but it is still up in their on where were going to launch. im thinking little creek anphib base, its right in the center of both bridges.
Yeah, I can't be held accountable for you going out there and striking out, but, I can promise you I'm not throwing out bad advice. As Fish'n Phil said, you can launch out of Crab Creek and catch some schoolie striper around Lesner Bridge. That might not be a bad place to start. There have also been some 40"+ fish caught over the tube between the 3rd and 4th islands drifting eels. It's always better to go with somebody that knows a little something about fishing the bay, but you should be able to find some fish with the advice given. Good luck, and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
573 Posts
[We are planing on going out early a.m. but it is still up in their on where were going to launch. im thinking little creek anphib base, its right in the center of both bridges.[/QUOTE]

Thats where I launch as well. I just like it cuz its no hassell. There can be a bunch of idiots at the other two. Its 7 bucks to launch, open 24 hours, and every tenth launch you get one free. I wouldn't leave anyting of any value in my vehicle there though. Haven't heard any horror stories latley but its not in the greatest area. Hopefully you'll get some fish out there. Its kinds hard just reading post, it helps alot to go with experienced anglers. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take Virginia Boy up on his offer to go with you guys. Besides, that way if you get skunked its lets me and drawinout off the hook. LOL He gave some great info too by the way. Virginia Boy, looks like you guys were on em the other night. I don't live too far from ya and If you're going out any days early next week I may take you up on that extra boat you got offer.

Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts