Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...here goes:

I have Shimano Baitrunners, Daiwa Emblem Pro, Penn 525 Mag, Penn Torque 100, Fin-Nor OFS75, Several older Penn Conventionals (85, 209, 309, 500, 150, 200, 140...all magged) and a little Daiwa 500C that I wouldn't trade for the world (use it for bait). I have repaired, refurbished, and sold/traded several Penn reels. I would love to have an Abu 6500C3CT Mag, an Accurate Platinum "Twin Spin", a Penn Slammer (460 or 560), an Abu Soron STX spinner, and I'm even looking at some new Okuma's! (especially the "Solterra") When is it time to say "enough is enough"? You can only fish with so many reels. I have the rods to go with these reels (interchangeably), but I am looking at my overall inventory and thinking I have too much. I don't have ONE reel that I cannot repair/service myself. I love all these reels, but some are used less than others. I want to limit myself to FOUR reels to do double duty (both Pier and Surf) and TWO reels to take on a headboat (one each for me and my wife). The headboat reels I can handle with two 309's. Shark reel has now converted to the Fin-Nor OFS75 from the Penn 113HN magged Baja Special. Will keep the baitrunners (4500 and 6500) as well as the Emblem Pro for the pier and surf both. The OFS75 can do double duty as my shark reel from either pier OR surf with a simple rod change. Going through a "reality check", one of the reels I absolutely LOVE but probably use the LEAST is my Torque 100. Right now, I am seriously lacking some "light to medium light" spinners for inshore stuff, for plugging, etc. Unfortunately, one of the first I'll probably put on the market is the Torque 100, loaded with 50 lb. PP. That will leave me with an OM Cape Point CONVENTIONAL, which is no longer made, and in ALMOST mint condition, which I'll probably also have to get rid of. Has anyone else ever gone through a "self assessment" (other than you "tackle Ho's) as to what you REALLY need? (side note...I do have a few "cheapies" for loaners to friends and family when they visit, so they are out of the equation.) I'd welcome any ideas, comments, suggestions. (And no...no comments about me sending you the CP and Torque 100 for $50 just to "take it off my hands, LOL).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Your first mistake is trying to apply "reality" to your situation. If you were being realistic you would never have gotten to this point. However, if you are like me, you had a "good reason" to buy every one of those things, and now those same good reasons keep you from getting rid of them. It's a bitch, isn't it?

Compounding my problem is the way I buy things. Always hunting for a killer deal means that I could never replace the item for what I paid for it, making it even harder to get rid of.

The only solution is to do a one for one trade out. Sell the one or two things you use least to finance the one you want most. Then do it again until you are down to the inventory you want to maintain. You just have to be ruthless with yourself as you consider each piece you will get rid of.

BTW, I will do you a favor and give you $50 to take the now useless Baja Special off your hands. Consider it the primary sacrifice you must make, the necessary first step to successfully acheive your goal.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I check my reality everyday when the wife say's......"Don't you think you have enough fishing crap"

I look at her and say..."Don't you have enough shoes"....and I'm good for 3 or 4 more reels.....:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your first mistake is trying to apply "reality" to your situation. If you were being realistic you would never have gotten to this point. However, if you are like me, you had a "good reason" to buy every one of those things, and now those same good reasons keep you from getting rid of them. It's a bitch, isn't it?

Compounding my problem is the way I buy things. Always hunting for a killer deal means that I could never replace the item for what I paid for it, making it even harder to get rid of.

The only solution is to do a one for one trade out. Sell the one or two things you use least to finance the one you want most. Then do it again until you are down to the inventory you want to maintain. You just have to be ruthless with yourself as you consider each piece you will get rid of.

BTW, I will do you a favor and give you $50 to take the now useless Baja Special off your hands. Consider it the primary sacrifice you must make, the necessary first step to successfully acheive your goal.
Sorry...the Baja 113HN was sold on Ebay after the purchase of the OFS75! (at a profit, BTW, since I "magged it", stripped it, lubed it, and got it at a bargain to begin with.) If, however, you want one that is "customized", we can work something out...at a price, LOL!

I check my reality everyday when the wife say's......"Don't you think you have enough fishing crap"

I look at her and say..."Don't you have enough shoes"....and I'm good for 3 or 4 more reels.....:D:D:D
If I did that, I'd be in physical PAIN for weeks, LOL!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sports... you talk like a man that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and shamed into feeling badly about your toys... you a Ho... face it... I to am afflicted with the same malady...

I bought a 5500 pro rocket 12/31 while at Hatteras... paid full price for it with a minor discount... added another $50 of after market parts to it, BB level wind, BB idler, smoothies etc... now I have a reel for the custom Estuary... can relegate the 6500 mag elite I'd originally bought for it and determined it was to big for light plugging to a custom WRI I use as a heavy plugger...

early this week I was perusing flea bay and found a 2008 model 5500 pro rocket for the paltry sum of $110... guess what is going to be arriving in the mail either this afternoon or monday... that's right another 5500 pro rocket... what am I going to do with it?... well that's the back up to the first one... doubtful the original will ever go down while out on a trip but hey it was the rationalization I used for this purchase... I've got a 16 gallon tote of brand new reels, that I just had to have for one reason or another...

face it Bro we HO's and thats all we'll ever be... stop that foolish talk and go on and buy the new toys you NEED... to many memories in the old stuff to divest... :D :cool:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Need has nothing to do with it. :D

Besides, fishing tackle hold their value better than a 401K :p

Anyway, this is America! It's my right to hog more tackle than I can use in three lifetimes! :eek::redface::D

ETA: It ain't really bad until you move and find reels that you've stashed and haven't seen for two years! ;)

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL...that's what I am trying to avoid...being a tackle "HO"...and that is: Unfortunately, faceing up to feeding the family, paying the expenses, living on my retirement income and my wife's part-time income, waiting on Social Security (extra $1K per month, which comes in July), and figuring out what is really necessary! Am I a "Ho"...yup...but I'm trying to reform...from an absolutely practical standpoint! For the "cookie jar...not only has my hand been caught in it, but the lid came down and broke my fingers!!! What's a "reasonable" solution?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
LOL...that's what I am trying to avoid...being a tackle "HO"...and that is: Unfortunately, faceing up to feeding the family, paying the expenses, living on my retirement income and my wife's part-time income, waiting on Social Security (extra $1K per month, which comes in July), and figuring out what is really necessary! Am I a "Ho"...yup...but I'm trying to reform...from an absolutely practical standpoint! For the "cookie jar...not only has my hand been caught in it, but the lid came down and broke my fingers!!! What's a "reasonable" solution?
Just a thought, but if your getting stuff all the time just cause ya want it, instead of cause ya need it, Doesn't this just make ya a cheep tackle sl#t instead of a ho!!:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Just a thought, but if your getting stuff all the time just cause ya want it, instead of cause ya need it, Doesn't this just make ya a cheep tackle sl#t instead of a ho!!:confused:
Interesting question. :D

Hey sprts, I try to NEVER let the whole issue of "need" when it comes to my fishin' stuff get in the way! :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
well the way I look at it fishing equiptment is like shoes you have a few pair you just love to where but to stay in style you need to buy a pair for every season every year
that gives you 4 a year .hey I think I am on to somthing spring is comming soon LOL

9ball

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Don't feel bad, in the last two months, I have bought a Stradic 8000, Shimano Tiralejo 9' surf rod, an 8' Shimano Teramar and just picked up a Spheros 8000 on Ebay today for $100.

My old lady now knows not to ask why I need more gear when I go out and buy it, but she still asks from time to time.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BUT...I don't look too good in "high heels" guys!!! Imelda Marcos has NOTHING on me, LOL!!! OK...My Normal Four for pier and surf...two headboat reels, and at least ONE light reel]!!! Let me hear it!!! What say ye???

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
BUT...I don't look too good in "high heels" guys!!! Imelda Marcos has NOTHING on me, LOL!!! OK...My Normal Four for pier and surf...two headboat reels, and at least ONE light reel]!!! Let me hear it!!! What say ye???
Get rid of the race car, buy a boat, more gear, and take us all out fishing.
There ya have it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get rid of the race car, buy a boat, more gear, and take us all out fishing.
There ya have it. Problem solved.
Too late...the boat went first...THEN the race car! (where the hell are my priorities, anyway??? LOL) That leaves me with nothing but my rods and reels for now...however!!! I am in contact with a barrister from Nigeria who asures me that I will have 2 million dollars US in my bank account as soon as I send the $300 required to cover the expenses of the transfer! When that happens...LOOK OUT!!!

I'll buy Van Staals for EVERYONE on here, LOL!!!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Too late...the boat went first...THEN the race car! (where the hell are my priorities, anyway??? LOL) That leaves me with nothing but my rods and reels for now...however!!! I am in contact with a barrister from Nigeria who asures me that I will have 2 million dollars US in my bank account as soon as I send the $300 required to cover the expenses of the transfer! When that happens...LOOK OUT!!!

I'll buy Van Staals for EVERYONE on here, LOL!!!

Thanks buddy, but make mine ZeeBaas...:D:D

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I think we need to do an intervention for sprtsracer.........he needs our help before he self destructs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.