Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I've been fishing for 45+ years I 've never done any of the "subject" fishing.Now I'm handicapped and my fishing is curtailedl rather a lot.Walking is the big problem due to COPD,back,and FAT.
Question #1. At the Choptank bridge/pier are there any golf carts for rent? Or can an h.capper drive out and fish?
Question#2. While I've fished the Ctank for many years it's always been in the fall from a boat or from the bulkhead of the little marina on the west side of the new bridge on the Talbot County side(where the old ferryboat sits).Success has always been pretty fair but limited by species and size(perch&rock).From reading this board it seems that the optimum time/tide is night-ebb.So how do you fish the tide,ie;do you fish on the bottom into the ebb tide and keep the line at the bridge shadow? Do you fish down tide,on the bottom close to the bridge or let out line to the new bridge trying to get near a piling? Do you fish any lines free-floated with just bait and hook?
Question#3. Lights; do any of you take a bright battery-operated light and drop over the railing to near the waters surface for some really hot action?
Any info would be deeply appreciated.reelseat

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Reelseat...I see your pretty new to the forum so welcome. There's some pretty good guys and gals here. Sorry to hear about your challanges. I have shot knees also and anything that's not level hurts like hell. Let's see if I can answere a few of your questions.

Sorry to say that there are no golf carts for rent at the Tank and no vehicles, not even bikes are allowed on the pier.

I like to fish the whole ebb tide using a hi/lo rig for croakers. For rock I like to live line a spot or perch. I've never free floated but it might be worth while for the rock. The only problem is you want to keep away from the bridge supports. Unless you use heavy shock leader like Sandcrab the rock will cut you off at the pilings in a second.

I thought about using a lantern just above the water and jig but have yet to do it. I might give it a try when the trout are in. I used to do it in fresh water for crappie, very productive at night.

I've seen a couple of guys in wheel chairs fishing the Tank if that's an option for you. If you want to fish while I'm there I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

Catman.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Catman ar you sure no bikes are allowed, I can remember my son use to ride his when we fished, that was a couple of years ago.? :eek:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
there were people biking on it when we were there last weekend.
allowed? Maybe not.
Being ridden? yep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies gents. Wish Md was a little more disabled friendly at that place.I do appreciate the offer of assistance.But am not Wchair bound just can't walk very far.To get out there I'd need to start at sundown to be there by sunup.
Guess I'll just fish the bulkhead there by the marina. Have to get back into my surf rods to cast to that inside channel/swash out from it.
Wonder who one would contact to suggest some help for disabled/handicapped folk?
One more thing;might want to check on the legality of the light thing. Nothing new about it so if no-one does it there may be a reason. Thanks again, reelseat

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are H/C and had one of those three wheel bikes I can't belive any thing would be said, If it was be a good case to take to court. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts