Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a place down on Oak Island and I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience in the area who has some to offer.

We do a good bit of surf fishing and will have a little 2-man Jon Boat (will be finished rebuilding it in a week or two) that will work well for the waterway, but not ready for anything more than that.

My first trip this past week, we were mainly trying to feel out the beach near the house. We did a good bit of surf fishin during the evenings and nights on both outgoing and incoming tides. Caught a bunch of little dogfish, a few decent pompano, some whiting, etc.

We hooked up with a couple of what I can only assume were BIG rays that we kept on for about 15-20 minutes but never really could handle. Had a few more big bites that didn't quite pan out.

Had a lot of fun, but could definitely use some advice or pointers moving ahead from anyone who has some to share.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go to the west end of the Island. Finger mullet should be showing up so carry a cast net and 5 gallon bucket and a bubbler to keep them. Don't catch too many at a time as you can overload the bucket. Can catch flounder and who knows what else. There is also a park at the west end of the island on the main road coming in. Several other places on the intercostal water way to fish from. Live shrimp can be caught with the cast net at the little park on 40th street. Check out Ocean Crest PIer. Good people there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My husband and I just got back yesterday from Oak Island. There are mullet every where right now,but VERY few shrimp to be had. A very slow bite right now,mostly spots ,a few whting and pompano's. OCP is a great pier,go EARLY for the best bites!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful

Be careful in the water way with the jon boat . My brother had a 16 footer out there one day . Yacht came by left a wake that filled his jon boat . The guy just kept going never stopped . If you use the jon boat stay to the creeks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts