Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the wife and kids to the St. Mary's Oyster Fest tomorrow and thinking of hitting the Solomons Pier on the way back. Anybody tried their luck there? I used to catch great rock off the Chesapeake Bio Lab Pier w/jig'n'pig when I worked there 10 years ago, but haven't been back since...

-C

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did end up stopping by Solomons Island around 5:30 this evening, but only gave a brief [email protected]@ed effort what with the whole brood with me. (the little lady isn't a fishing freak...)

I checked out the fishing pier under the bridge, but didn't fish it as it was right next to a very busy boat ramp - might be a decent spot at night if it's open then.

I did go for a drive around SI proper for nostalgia's sake - my first job out of college was as a research asst working on the Striper population study at the lab there. (Talk about gear - have you ever tried using a 30' trawl net?) What I found is that there is no longer a simple sea wall, but that they've reinforced the shoreline with riprap. If you drive onto the island there is a spot just outside the harbor at the lab's boathouse entrance with about twenty parking spaces and no "No Fishing" signs. So, I fished, briefly. I didn't have any bait, but tried my luck with a couple of bucktails - well, the kids got cold & hungry, the wife got crabby, and I was hoping to get home to see the hated Yanquis drop Game 2, so it was only an hour or so.

Clearly, my plans didn't pan out, but I think I'll drop back by the place again. My read is that it could be a good spot on a falling tide as the back creeks empty into the mouth of the river. Anyway, if anybody else gives it a shot - maybe on the way to/from a PLO trip - do repoet!

Chuckles

1 - 2 of 2 Posts