Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Up Massive,

I fished the Navy Rec Sat from 5pm to 11pm, maybe 6 people fishing off the pier. Most people catching Perch, and small stripers. The stripers started hitting around 9pm. I caught about 15 with only one keeper, 18" most were 12 to 15 inches. I caught all fish on a yellow spinner lure. I also threw my 11 foot rod with cut bait. No luck.

I also met a pier and surf member leaving as I was arriving. Forgot your Alias. But if you read this, you'll remember me. Big Up!

I also took some nice pictures of the Lunar Eclipse too.

Oh yeah, one more thing, Plenty of crabs still down there, but I forgot bring my crab net.

Might go back down there tonight after football.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DFishMon, I've driven by the Solomons Navy Rec Center numerous times on my way to Pt. Lookout, but have never stopped to see the pier, etc. I'm retired USAF; do I just need to show my ID card to use the pier? What are the hours for the pier? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dfishmon,
Congrats on the fish. I regret leaving early, but you know how it is with the "chaperone". Let me know how you did tonight.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Big Up to all,

If you have DOD or military ID, you can get on the base. Alot of times during the summer, I seen the guard let almost anybody on base. There have been times I've forgotten my ID and they still llet me on. It's pretty good fishing spot. Bait is cheap there during season. $5.75 for bloodworms.

Hey tdoan21,

I know how it is when u have a chaperone.
:)
The fishing was fun, but that wind was BLLLLLLLOWWWWWWWINNNNG, I mean COOOOOOLDDD. LOL
I also decided not to go tonight due to some good football on TV that I couldn't resist.

I'll probably goto the Point Look clean up on Sat and stop by Solomons on the way out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Tdoan21,

I think I'm going to wait and goto fishing this Sat at Point Lookout for the cleanup and stop by Solomons on the way down and on the way back. It hard for me to get away during the week. Unless, it's close by like SPSP or Severn. You going down there?

·
Registered
67 Posts
yeah, I think I'm going down there tomorrow...I went to PLO twice and didn't catch anything...I was using cut bait and so was everyone else, but no hits. I'm gonna try switching over to lures. I've never tried it, so going to have to buy new rods/reels/lures, any suggestions?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Tdoan21,

I saw a couple of guys using Gotcha plugs, Silver and Yellow ones, I was using yellow Spinner bait with a silver spoon. The stripers were tearing it up. What time are you going tomorrow? If it's in the late afternoon or evening, I might be able to meet you down there. Let me know.

Big D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Caught about 13 undersized rocks tonight...between 10-14", no keepers. I got there at 5:30 and they were hitting already. The action stopped around 8:30. No one else caught anything, but they were going for perch anyway. You should have gone (except for having no keepers), the weather was pretty nice and the wind was calm until 8:00. I noticed you fished at the far right finger; which way do you cast, towards the land or away?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big Up Tdoan21,

I fished either corner of the finger and cast away from the land. But you have cast far out, if you cast anywhere in the middle you might lose your rig. Try to use a long pole and hold it high and reel fast or you might get snagged on a stupid cable out there. Trust me from experience and watching other fishermen. Are you going to the PLO Cleanup?

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about lures? All my catches were casting back towards the land, I didn't even get a bite when trying to cast away.

I would like to go to PLO, but don't know if the wife would let me...when is it anyway?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts