Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be fishing Solomon's Island this saturday. My aunt is having her birthday bash on the base. Is there anything i should take with me as far bait goes? Also, exactly where do i fish at down there? Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey MC,

I fished down there every other weekend. Squid and Bloods does magic for me. I might be downthere this Sat myself. I usually fished all night. I caught a 20 inch Rock on Bloods 2 weeks ago.

D.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey MC they got a pier right there on the part where you camp at. It is a pretty productive pier. Has deep water holes at the end. I am talking at the left end it gets to about 30 ft deep. Lots of nice fish caught there at night. They charge 5 bucks per head to fish on pier during day so I would advise fishing at night. It is free. I might make it down that way fri night.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day Fishing

Hey Jason,

My aunt is having a big gathering there on saturday so thats when i will be fishing. Ill be there early with her though. If you will be there friday into saturday i will look for you. Any advice on fishing there during the day?

MC

·
Registered
67 Posts
Master Caster,
Their is a pier right before the bridge on route 4 (solomons island rd), unless FL fisherman is referring to the same pier. I checked it out one night, but decided to fish right before the bridge over to st. Georges Island, which is on the way to PLO. Monster croakers there caught on shrimp, but mostly at night. Good luck fishing.

-Addicted

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey addicted that is the same pier. You have to go through a gate on the right to get to it. I have hear of reports of pups, black drum, stripers, jumbo spot, trout, perch and monster croakers caught there last year. I am sure it wouldn't be any different this year except that the fishing is a little slower as we all know. I haven't totally decided to go yet. I am gonna try to get Anthony to go with me if I go. You hear that Anthony think you can make it down there with me! I will drive and pick you up at your place. I will be in MD on Friday at Silver Spring. Let me know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sunset Pier

Hey guys i will actually be on the naval base. They have a recreation center there. Here is a link http://www.ndw.navy.mil/MWR/NRCSolomons/guide.html
I was wondering if any of you ever fished that pier. You have to have a military ID to get in there.........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah have fished that place many time MC. Fishing there has not been that great. There is a huge sandbar all around that pier. That was caused by el nino that past 10 years. There is some good fishing there though if you cast past that bar. I would say it is a good 150 yds out. You will know if you get past it b/c you won't be able to keep ur pole in the water. Last year blues were running, occasional trout, pups, croakers and also small stripers. Don't be surprised to see people out there with 14 and 15fters chunking lead. Bring squid and bloods and as you know cut up them spot for the chance of blues and rock. Right there by the pier is an inlet that goes back into a cove. I go there and catch a bunch of blue crabs and the occasional flounder too. There are other places on that post that are real good. If I meet you there I will show you. Oh and if you bass fish, they have 3 supposedly "Trophy Bass ponds" there too. I have been to them and have only caught 2 lbers. There is a lot of stuff on that post. They are spoiled down there. Trust me!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Ok misread your reply MC. All that jabber I said is for the PAX NAS right down the road on your left. It is two different places, but they are part of the same base. You might want to try there too. The stuff I said earlier about solomons is the place you are going too. It is a nice place.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
This was the only pier I fished at when I was growing up. Blues, trout, croakers, spot, rockfish, occasional flounder and plenty of crabs were commonly caught here. I have found that fresh spot, caught that day, works best when the blues, trout and rockfish are abundant. It seems that croakers and spot are abundant now so bloods, squid, shrimp, and peelers seems to be your best bet. If you catch any midsized spot, don't be afraid to liveline one for a nice rockfish that could be lurking the pilings. I believe that I told you my story about catching tons of rockfish with live bait a few years back. Jason is really making me want to go. Hopefully I will see you there.
-Anthony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts