Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is my setup for this season XH tica 11'6 daiwa sealine 40sha spooled with berkley big game hi-test 20lb backed with 300 yds of 65pp with 80lb shock this would be my pier/surf heaver for drum, cobes, kings, and 100+ sharks any suggestions or is this a pretty solid setup. I also have a penn 309m on a mariner for the same just a shorter rod 6'6 a pup/trout/blue setup pending and will be getting either a new s.senator or avet lx which would have a surf rod capable have of 10nbait at least for surf an pier and a custom built by me for the boats or pier/pin riging have a el cheapo for the anchor rod.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Seen a many a tica break on the cast and while fightin fish, but hey if thats what you got then use her till she snaps. Not a big fan of the power mess when in a crowd of a bunch of mono users but Im normally not the one who says anything, to each his own in my book. I throw the 30 size reels and have not been spooled by a drum or cobia yet, and hope I never will.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i heard about that but It was either a avet and tidemaster or st.croix with a pinnacle so i just got the best i could buy but i wouldnt sell it because its the first setup i brought but once i build a heaver bye bye tica and what rod do you use for this purpose because i was told it was the most durable they made yet it was bult in aug 08 so i think id have at least 3 years

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah ive checked them out before and there great for only surf fishin or sightcasting in my opinion but the lx you can cast not worry about being spooled take on boat and deepdrop or pier fishing at skyway pier in fl for sharks its a more all around reel i think and the ability to do all those different things for that price is a steal but in your favor i dont think i can sightcast real well with it

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Tuff Rod

get an OM Heavy .... that will fit right in with a D40 ... for off a pier you might want a 10' or so rod as compaired to a 12' off the beach .... alot easier to get around :fishing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.