Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some articles/websites talking about proper (read humane) ways to kill fish and stumbled across this website.

http://www.ikijime.com/

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried this method here in the States. If not, how do you kill your fish when you plan on keeping them? Or do you just drop them in the cooler?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I throw them in a cooler and when I get home they amazingly are dead, not sure how that happens but don't have to do anything.. ha ha just playing.....geo

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Depends on the fish. But most time they go in the cooler to be cleaned at home. If I keep a shark I'll kill and bleed it out on the beach. And after seeing a greener than thought cobia destroy an igloo cooler from the inside, I make sure they're sleeping real good too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's my understanding that simply putting a fish in a cooler full of ice will kill it pretty quickly by lowering body temperature without really causing it pain. I'm sure some sort of stabbing or cutting is faster, but if you don't do it right/fast may end up causing more trauma (if the fish's pain is your concern). The benefit of icing them to death is you will have the freshest tasting dinner also, not having allowed the flesh any time to decompose after death and before refridgeration. Honestly if your fish are dead in your live well they died slowly through lack of oxygen, then stewed in air temp water for a while before you got em out. Fish rots very quickly, especially whole fish with gills still on, at any temp above low 30's. I even keep fish on ice in my fridge at home if it will be a day or two before eating. So I say no matter how you kill it, get it cold ASAP if you want to actually enjoy eating it.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Throw most I've caught on ice and filleted my share of live fish. I think there has been an Iki Jime discussion on here before, if you care to search for it.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Im sure a sharpened nail on a spike would have the same effect as an ike jimme........only fish i keep to eat are cobia and kings and the like.......just gut and bleed them as soon as they are landed

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bleed out most fish intended for the table and then on they go on ice. As for the humane killing of spot, whiting, and other assorted "small" species - I think cutting the head off is fairly humane. Placing the head on a 10/0 hook, casting it out in an attempt to lodge the aforementioned hook into the jaw of a larger species just to play a game of tug-o-war may however be deemed inhumane by some. Depends on ones perspective, but I do respect the quarry and make an attempt to not unreasonable stress the fish (from my perspective) and release or dispatch swiftly. Interesting link nonetheless

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I throw them in a cooler and when I get home they amazingly are dead, not sure how that happens but don't have to do anything.. ha ha just playing.....geo
Amen to that!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I usually just toss them in the cooler. My wife on the other hand likes to club them. Not sure if that makes me feel safe or not. 🐡🔨

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bleed out most fish intended for the table and then on they go on ice. As for the humane killing of spot, whiting, and other assorted "small" species - I think cutting the head off is fairly humane. Placing the head on a 10/0 hook, casting it out in an attempt to lodge the aforementioned hook into the jaw of a larger species just to play a game of tug-o-war may however be deemed inhumane by some. Depends on ones perspective, but I do respect the quarry and make an attempt to not unreasonable stress the fish (from my perspective) and release or dispatch swiftly. Interesting link nonetheless
X2, Bleed them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I saw am interesting way yesterday. A couple of older guys would throw the fish as hard as they could on the ground a few times before they put them in the cooler. Don't know if they were tenderizing them for dinner of trying to make chum.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately, removing the head/tail makes them illegal to keep while at the fishing location (for non-tidal locations). I'm not sure whether or not that applies to tidal locations as well.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I entice them to bite a sharp metal impaling device by using an artificial minnow and then drag them through the water, yanking them from the water or using a net to remove them from their preferred environment. I then remove the hook and toss them into an insulated storage device with pieces of frozen water contained within. I then pound my chest and say OOOOOOoooOOOooooooOOOOOO. Strangely enough upon returning home they have committed suicide and died.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I entice them to bite a sharp metal impaling device by using an artificial minnow and then drag them through the water, yanking them from the water or using a net to remove them from their preferred environment. I then remove the hook and toss them into an insulated storage device with pieces of frozen water contained within. I then pound my chest and say OOOOOOoooOOOooooooOOOOOO. Strangely enough upon returning home they have committed suicide and died.
So, suffocation...got it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
No maniacal laughter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts