Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just joined the website and after reading the fishing regs. I would like to know (in plain English), what the regs are for catching Snook including dates and sizes.
I'll be fishing the Melbourne/Sebastian Inlet areas. Also what is the best bait to use and do they take artificials or lures. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Snook size limit on the Atlantic coast is between 28-32inches (with pinching the tail), and one fish per day. Snook season is closed from Dec 15 - Jan 31, and the months of June, July, and August

I've never fished there before but saw a post on another website where they caught many slob snooks and claim that they caught them on 2oz bucktails pink head with white and red skirts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'll be fishing the Melbourne/Sebastian Inlet areas. Also what is the best bait to use and do they take artificials or lures. Thanks for your help.
When will you be fishing?

Lot's of artificials will work, but I don't catch many snook on them so I can't comment.

I can comment on bait, though. Live Greenies (threadfin herring, scaled sardines), live finger mullet and large live shrimp are they way to go. Use whatever is around and you can hook up.

In the summer my beach is loaded with greenies, we catch them on sabikis or cast nets.

Hook 'em in the nose and free line them out, hang them under a cork or pin them on the bottom with a fishfinder rig and the snook will hammer them.

The Golden Months are in the closed season, June, July and August. The water is warm, baitfish are thick and ready-to-spawn snook aggressively cruise the beaches right along with the baitfish pods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be fishing the beginning to the middle of February. Thanks for the info on the live bait advise. Was also wondering if "SALTED" shrimp or pinfish work just as well?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'll be fishing the beginning to the middle of February. Thanks for the info on the live bait advise. Was also wondering if "SALTED" shrimp or pinfish work just as well?
In my expeience, no, they won't.

IN order of effectiveness:

1) Live bait
2) Fresh dead bait
3) artificial lure

A live pinfish is the cat's azzz for realy big snook. So are live or fresh dead lady fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.