Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from tarpon which I know the answer is yes, do they ever catch these in NC? I caught a tiny permit in a cast net in Davis canal on Oak island, but I know fry can drift many miles by the tides and I think this is a case of that. And tarpon wise where when what, know they are seen suning in the pimlico sound but that is out of the picture aside from bottom fishing from ether a yak of the bank. I remember a wile back a bonefish was caught in jan in Myrdle beach is this common?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
217 Posts
Others will chime in with likely more accurate information, but from what I have heard:

Tarpon: Definitely in NC - summer months
Permit: Extremely rare in NC but from what I hear possible
Bonefish: No way in NC
Snook: No way in NC

As I said...the above is only a reflection of my somewhat limited knowledge...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Others will chime in with likely more accurate information, but from what I have heard:

Tarpon: Definitely in NC - summer months
Permit: Extremely rare in NC but from what I hear possible
Bonefish: No way in NC
Snook: No way in NC

As I said...the above is only a reflection of my somewhat limited knowledge...
Thanks, what where and when for the silver king?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I've seen a few bonefish caught on the piers here in NC.. Mostly in early fall.. I had a pic of a boy holding one from last yr,if I can find it,will post...

Tarpon you already know about
Bones can be caught,but as Clyde said you'd be luckier in the lottery..
Snook I've caught plenty,and I mean plenty back in late 70's in creeks in Avon looking for mullet.. Would see the flash,cast and come up with a net full of snook.. All about 4 to 6" long...
Permit I've also caught in a cast net,here in Hatteras..
Ladyfish I've caught on hook and line as well as in a castnet..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen a few bonefish caught on the piers here in NC.. Mostly in early fall.. I had a pic of a boy holding one from last yr,if I can find it,will post...

Tarpon you already know about
Bones can be caught,but as Clyde said you'd be luckier in the lottery..
Snook I've caught plenty,and I mean plenty back in late 70's in creeks in Avon looking for mullet.. Would see the flash,cast and come up with a net full of snook.. All about 4 to 6" long...
Permit I've also caught in a cast net,here in Hatteras..
Ladyfish I've caught on hook and line as well as in a castnet..
Well layla fish are common, I have seen 2 or 3 at the Ocean Crest, one ended up being eaten by a '8 lemon shark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
License

Sorry to interupt the conversation but I am arriving at nags head a week from tomorrow and it will be my first time trying surf fishing. From what I have heard and read it may not be great pickings. I bought my week long license on-line but does it let me go to the inside of the OBX to fish?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Sorry to interupt the conversation but I am arriving at nags head a week from tomorrow and it will be my first time trying surf fishing. From what I have heard and read it may not be great pickings. I bought my week long license on-line but does it let me go to the inside of the OBX to fish?
NC license?? Yeap.....

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure what ye means, but GO MAKE YOUR ONE THREAD.

·
Registered
312 Posts
most every year I hear of someone catching a permit on a Brunswick County pier. usually the guy thinks at first he has the state record pompano!

i've caught plenty of little pompano and jacks in my cast net, and i'm willing to believe you guys i guess, but i don't really think there are many fingerling permit in NC inshore waters-- it is very easy to misidentify them with pompano and jacks at that size. but, you may be right...just seems strange to me.

of course, in the dead of winter i see some hake and similar northern species down in Brunswick you'd never think would be that far south.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
DD you caught snook in your net? Any big ones on hook n line?
As far as tarpon go, I heard Jesse caught a lil fella a few years back if I remember right? ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
they catch (or at least hook) a few big tarpon every year on the piers on the king rigs. they aren't uncommon. i fish as south in NC as you can get and have never seen a snook or bonefish. plenty of ladyfish though, sometimes you can catch them on every cast.

a nice tripletail was caught on a pier last year and they are considered rare. once in awhile you'll see one of those wierd ocean sunfish caught (the opposite of freshwater sunfish-- i'm talking about a funny looking HUGE fish). they catch some barracuda from the piers each year too.

i catch some funky Florida-style snappers in the ICW sometimes. i found myself one time in winter on a local pier by myself pulling in bunches of big hake...and shad!

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
most every year I hear of someone catching a permit on a Brunswick County pier. usually the guy thinks at first he has the state record pompano!

i've caught plenty of little pompano and jacks in my cast net, and i'm willing to believe you guys i guess, but i don't really think there are many fingerling permit in NC inshore waters-- it is very easy to misidentify them with pompano and jacks at that size. but, you may be right...just seems strange to me.

of course, in the dead of winter i see some hake and similar northern species down in Brunswick you'd never think would be that far south.
You know,if I had identified the fish I caught,I would have said pompano.. That being said a Fla flats guide that I used to drumfish with on the piers was with me,Vic Gaspeny... He said they were DEFINATLY PERMIT... :)

Mike,that perticular yr caught bunches of the rascals in my castnet,they were almost as thick as the mullet.... I've never caught one on rod and reel,except in Fla... I've been told by some of the lb netters down here that they have caught them over 20lbs!! They have also told me of trippletails,permit,and tarpon as well....

Caught one tarpon off the planks here and it was on Kitty Hawk pier before Izzy took it 121lbs... Lost WAAAAY MORE than my share..:redface: Caught one on the other side of Pamilico out of a boat,and have seen several landed on piers in the past,especially Frisco..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I love hearin these sorta stories! Why is it that tarpon get unbuttoned from pin rigs so much on the piers? Is it the mouth of the fish? The angle at which they nail the baits? I saw a tarpon last year get foul hooked by a squidrig... it was getting dark, the fish flew outta the water, you could hear his gill plates flapping, then smoked the guys reel in seriously, .2 seconds. It was nuts... Oh to catch one!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.