Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with tons of mullet there are lots of tarpon, sharks, and snook. On Oct 7 I netted some finger mullet. The sea weed was terrible and I caught over the limit of the weed. I finally took off the weight and free-lined a mullet. Got one snook and missed another. Had a third fish hit, but didn't see what it was. A guy up the beach said he has limited out on snook each day for the past week. Before, during, and after low tide seem to be the best times for bait and fish. As the tide comes up the bait is hard to find. The one snook caught was on my last and smallest finger mullet (only about 4 inches). Needless to say, my casts with that guy were not out very far! Look for spots with deeper water, usually rushing north and out, south and out, or just directly out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm hoping to get a little of that action on Thursday.

I'm going to try and get down to Sebastian about 7:45 or so and fish the outgoing high tide. After that I may just do sone "free-style" fishing on the way back north at Bonsteel, the Shark Pit, and Melbourne Beach Pier. Momma said I could stay out and play tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mark let us know how you did in your quest for fish and good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
places at the inlet to fish...

I have yet to travel down and try the fishing at Sebastian Inlet. Although I've heard so many great things about the fishing there I'm going to try and get out there this week. But to help me plan, could someone answer some questions for me:

How high is the jetty above the water? Do you need a drop net to actually get the fish up out of the water?

Where are the specific places people fish from there? Example: At the end of the jetty? From the surf at the sides of the jetty?

What bait is good for catching a variety of fish and what bait is available to buy there?

Do most people just free line the bait or use any specific type rig?

Is it open 24 hours / 7 days a week?

Any hints or tips you can think of that might help someone that's never been there before would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sebastian InLet Info

Hey wtf.over

How to fish the inlet.
http://www.floridatoday.com/sections/recreation/sebastian.htm

Where are the specific places people fish from there? Example: At the end of the jetty? From the surf at the sides of the jetty?

Well The Inlet can be fished from a number of spots off the Jetties north or south from under the bridge on one of the cat walks and in the Inlet it self from the banks or wade out a bit from the banks which can be tricky be careful. Also try the beaches just adjacent to the Inlet north and south.

PIC of the Catwalks under the bridge.

What bait is good for catching a variety of fish and what bait is available to buy there?

Fishing with Live Bait such as, Pinfish, Croakers, Mullet and Large Live Shrimp can be the most productive. There are four bait shops that I know of on the way there after you pass 192 heading south on A1A . Wild Cats on A1A just past the Light at 192 on the right . Gold Star bait on Ocean ave about another Mile south of Wild cats and there are 2 down near the Inlet ******'s and Long Point both are just before the Inlet on the right . Or you could stop at the Mel Bch Pier with the old cast net and pick up some bait before you head on down . Thats uasually my game plan .
When Live Bait isn't available, try 1 1/2 oz. Jigs in Red & White and Chartreuse. Swimming Plugs like the Bomber and Rebel work well especially during Tide Changes.

How high is the jetty above the water? Do you need a drop net to actually get the fish up out of the water?

Important piece of equipment is a drop net, which can be invaluable for landing hooked fish from several feet above the water. Yes I would take one with ya . The cat walks under the bridge are about 10 to 15 feet above the water . Same goes for the Jetties

Is it open 24 hours / 7 days a week?

The park is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Entrance fees are $3.25 per vehicle. Yearly passes are also available. Most facilities are wheelchair accessible. Ranger station (321) 984-4852.

Do most people just free line the bait or use any specific type rig?

Watch whats going on there and make your your selection.
USEFUL FISHING RIGS

http://www.combat-fishing.com/basicusefulrigs.html

Dont cross my Line Please

Hope it helps Ya

Good Luck with the Inlet Experience

1 - 5 of 5 Posts