Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
"Snatch Strap" . . . Is that some new kind of "Thong Bikini" . . . LOL !!!

Seriously . . . I have a 4" wide strap and have never felt I needed to get anything wider.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I figure you're aware that recovery straps are rated by weight and ply, and not by width? Sure, the weight rating usually goes up as the width goes up, but the weight rating also goes up depending on ply. I.E., a 2-ply strap of a lesser width could have a higher weight rating than the next wider 1-ply strap.
Here's one person's explanation for why a 6" strap might NOT be a good idea for us "normal" 4-wheelers:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I figure you're aware that recovery straps are rated by weight and ply, and not by width? Sure, the weight rating usually goes up as the width goes up, but the weight rating also goes up depending on ply. I.E., a 2-ply strap of a lesser width could have a higher weight rating than the next wider 1-ply strap.
Here's one person's explanation for why a 6" strap might NOT be a good idea for us "normal" 4-wheelers:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm
That was an excellent article . . . Mine has the hooks, so I'll definitely be buying a new one, without hooks, in the near future !

Tight Lines !

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well a snatch strap will stretch like a rubberband and is designed to yank a stuck vehicle but not for towing.
A tow strap will stretch very little with the same working load.
Some people carry both. Personally I do not. I carry a 3" tow strap rated at 30K lbs. I have extracted and towed vehicles for miles to get them off the beach. (One memerable one was a smokin hot chick from New York in a 2wd Tahoe)
I believe that a standard 3" 30K lb tow strap will suit your needs. Just remember to place a heavy coat or floor mat over top of the center of the strap before you start pulling. This is to reduce the likelyhood that a bystander or either vehicle is struck by the strap if it breaks under tension.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well a snatch strap will stretch like a rubberband and is designed to yank a stuck vehicle but not for towing.
A tow strap will stretch very little with the same working load.
Some people carry both. Personally I do not. I carry a 3" tow strap rated at 30K lbs. I have extracted and towed vehicles for miles to get them off the beach. (One memerable one was a smokin hot chick from New York in a 2wd Tahoe)
I believe that a standard 3" 30K lb tow strap will suit your needs. Just remember to place a heavy coat or floor mat over top of the center of the strap before you start pulling. This is to reduce the likelyhood that a bystander or either vehicle is struck by the strap if it breaks under tension.
when did you start finding females attractive? news to me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the reason was wanting one strong enough. Seen what happens when one breaks. Not a pretty site. Will knock a nice dent in a tailgate. Always laid a towel or jacket over it since then. Think I will get a 3" 30000 lb strap.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's the reason was wanting one strong enough. Seen what happens when one breaks. Not a pretty site. Will knock a nice dent in a tailgate. Always laid a towel or jacket over it since then. Think I will get a 3" 30000 lb strap.
I like the coat or towel Idea. Never really thought about it or had one break but makes good common sense. I will use this practice from now on. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just purchased a "Bubba Rope" this weekend. I've had 3 '' strap in trucks all my life.
I like this "kinetic energy" recovery and think fish buggy would like it to on her old bones/frame.
Anyone here have any experience with these ropes?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bubba rope

Just purchased a "Bubba Rope" this weekend. I've had 3 '' strap in trucks all my life.
I like this "kinetic energy" recovery and think fish buggy would like it to on her old bones/frame.
Anyone here have any experience with these ropes?
Yup, I heard good things about this. It will be my next replacement

1 - 18 of 18 Posts