Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am throwing some 1 1/2 to 2 OZ. Crocodiles, Kastmaster, and little cleo's and I believe the snap swivels I am using are restricting the action of these lures. Any suggestions??

I told you I am new at this surf fishing so a lot of questions coming your way. I am using 15# spiderwire should I be using a shock leader? Information on this will also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fox

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I use snap swivels on ALL of my lures and have never had a problem, I use Coastlock and Spro brand. I think with the little cleos they work great. That's my go to metal for striper.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Never use snaps, only clear mono or fluorocarbon to the lure. 20-30 lb test. Leave your leader a foot or two longer than you want and it should stay long enough for the whole day and you don't have to retie the whole leader.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never use snaps, only clear mono or fluorocarbon to the lure. 20-30 lb test. Leave your leader a foot or two longer than you want and it should stay long enough for the whole day and you don't have to retie the whole leader.
I guess this means I am going to have to tie on just a swivel between the shock leader and the leader to the lure, is that correct??

Sorry but this is all NEW to me.

Fox

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
swivle

You can if you want but if you choose to use a snap swivle use the smallest you can get away with and use black.If the toothy critter sees the flash from the shinny swivle it will hit it some times and cut your line thus losing a lure.
Sometimes I dont use a snap swivle when fishing for mac or blue,I use 12# line tied directly to my leader of 30# flurocarbon which is tied directly to my lure.Sometimes I will use 50# leader,even then you have to check it periodically for fraying.

So many ways so many ways

·
Registered
998 Posts
no swivel needed. in the search bar type in "leader knot"

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hey Fox, what it boils down to is personal preference. Try it both ways and then go with what feels right to you. There is no right way or wrong way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As far as spoons go I always use a swivel. Make sure you use a good one with a ball bearing inside. You will get more action from your spoon. Otherwise with no swivel you will get some serious line twist.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I like to use one of the Breakaway quick clips on the bite leader... seldom use a swivel when casting specially when I'm on a pier... you lose most of the line twist when you're bringing your lure up to the deck...

trolling is another story, always use one there...

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I don't use any swivel, but if you want to use one between your leader and main line, go ahead. Also I use the heavier line as a bite leader, not a shock leader, for tooth fish that will fray your line and steal your $5 plugs. I start with 3-4 feet of mono/flouro in 20-30 lb test tied knot to knot to my main line (12-14 mono/20 braid), and when it gets frayed I clip off however much I need to then retie onto the bite leader again. It just saves some time of having to retie a new leader on as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.