Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never smoked blues before,but heard this is the best way to eat them. does anybody have a recipe they're willing to share.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey Hat80, hows it going. Anyway what I want to know is when you smoke fish,what is a good temp. you see I have some salmon filets that were sent to me by a friend from Washington State and need a good reciepe for them. Their about 1.5 inches thick and 19" long with the skin on, what do you recomend I maranide them in,I'v heard that there is a brown sugar mixture,is that so and do you know how to make it.TRIGGER:D

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Trigger,

You never said how many filets you have? I'll assume you have four. With 4 1.5 x 19" filets I would let them smoke for about 4 to 6 hours. The temp all depends on how long you smoke them. With the amount we are talking about I would keep the heat low say 125 to 150 and keep allot of smoke on them. To much heat and they will dry out before they smoke. As far as the reciepe go's, if you have never used a smoker before? Stick with a store bought blend and follow the directions. When you make your own smoking liquids it's real easy to screw up. That fish is to good to go to hell in a hand basket....:eek:

The type of wood also plays a big part, make sure it is soaked real good or it will burst into flames and ruin your day. The main thing is keep a eye on it, keep the smoke on, and it should turn out ok. Smoking any kind of fish or meat is one of those things you have to play with to suit your taste. Let me know how it turns out, I'll come eat it with you. No problems with that....LOL....Tightlines

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Maybe if they turn out I'll let you smell them. I have 4 nice thick juicey filets,maybe wait till fall time to smoke them so when I meet up with you all we can snack on them while we reel in the big ones. I'v been smoking turkeys for about 18yrs. every Thanksgiving and family will not eat turkey any other way. I did fix a turkey one year in the oven and almost got shot,so I do have the smoking experience for turkey,deer,beef and soon for fish.:cool:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Good deal Trigger,

Just don't eat all that smoked fish on the way to our meeting. It's hard not to do. I know a place in southern Maryland that sells smoked Salmon and it's great. More than once I stopped and got some to take home to the wife. Funny thing, it never made the trip back, the stuff is just to easy to snack on!....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Trigger,

I get it in Hughesvill down by Lexington park at a place called Nicks. Man that stuff will make your toung slap your brains out. Another good place thats closer is Tylers tackle and seafood down by Chesapeake Beach, George smokes some good fish also. Now I'm hungrey, thanks alot....LOL

Tylers

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well get off your duff and swing by and get some and while your down there pick me up some and swing by where I work and drop it off,how about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info. i was thinking about getting a smoker.
and learning how to cook with them. i'm rright down the road from nicks. ill give that salmon a try

:D

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
You guys are influencing my spending again. Now I have to buy a smoker.:D Two yrs. ago Trigger had me go out and buy a food saver. :( Thanks a lot.

Catman

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I were you I'd save some of the Salmon for the regular grill. Just coat it in olive oil and then sprinkle on your favorite spices ( I like garlic powder, season salt, and lemon pepper) and/or herbs and grill it over hot coals skin side first. Add some mesquite or hickory chips if you like. I prefer this to smoking because you still get the delicate taste of the salmon with just enough smoke to make it interesting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey triggerfish,I know the recipie form washington state with brownsugar in it.It is very simple and fron a friend that has a aunt that lives there. Take about even parts of brownsugar and mayonaise and mix togather,brush on top of steaks and put an a webber grill,dont turn.The mixture will melt and coat the fish.It looks bad when it first starts to melt but stick with it.As the fish gets done it turnes into a beautiful glase on the fish.This is about the only way I like salmon,give it a try.Hope you like it

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
iowabohunk, thanks for the recipie I'll try it on one of the filets,I'v gotten several of them with brown sugar from other places and people around here,I'v found out with a certian recipie(brown sugar) that it's great on Bluefish when smoked,one of the guy's at work gave this to me:brown sugar,hot pepper flakes,white wine and salt this is to make the brine and soak your fish overnite.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks triger,salome run is less than two months away now so it wont be till I put it to the test.I havent tried one with wine in it yet but it sounds good.I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm sorry for the brine you start out with 1/4 cup salt,4cups water,1/4cup of brown sugar and if you like you can add this to the brine (wine,soy sauce,herbs and spices) subsitute(sp) the soy sauce for the salt. To much salt is not good for the filet,if you know what I mean. Then you can dry rub brown sugar & hot pepper flakes mixture on the filet and smoke for 2 to 6hrs. depending on your taste,make sure fish flakes,DO NOT TURN FILET. Brown sugar will melt into a glaze. TRIGGER

1 - 16 of 16 Posts