Pier and Surf Forum banner

Smartcast Fish Finder with watch

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Gyro 
#1 ·
My friend just bought the smartcast fish finder that comes with a watch. Pretty cool. Very small and portable, fits easily in the tacklebox. It's excellent from shore or even on a boat to check out shallow water. It takes one watch battery and the sonar sensor comes with a lithium battery. The display is clear and gives you real-time info on structure and depth up to 100ft. We used it today and it was very useful in the shallows displaying fish and depth changes. Can even use it in the salt. Thinking of getting one myself.

Any opinions in favor or not in favor of this new technology?

#3 ·
the setup is a 1 oz bobber sensor tied to your line and a watch on your wrist. That's it. Either you can tie the bobber sensor alone to the end of your line so it just floats alone on the water surface resulting in no snags to map an area OR attach a leader to it and fish with it on. It beeps you when a fish is near. You can cast it up to 100ft (sensor's range is 100ft) and retrieve back slowly to get an image of bottom.

#6 ·
Joey,

I agreed with you at first about wanting 100 yards of information. But on second thought as i was using it today, when i cast farther out like 100yards from shore, usually I'm using a heavier weight and fishing on the bottom (or slip sinker). In which case, I don't care as much about structure since it's settling on the bottom anyway. If I'm using a lure or float fishing, I'm usually casting about 80 ft to see it clearly and to finesse it if necessary. When I cast today with my lures or floats, i found over 100ft casts were hard to see and finesse. And from a boat, anything over 75 ft, I can always move the boat. Just a thought I had today as I was using it. 100 yards would be nice, but it's probably overkill and probably guzzles up battery life due to the stronger signals.

#7 ·
Great!Thanxs for sharing the news.I too am interested in this gizmo.Me and a couple of friends were thinkin about splitting the cost and purchasing one.I would really like to know if it is 100% salt-water proof and can it take sloppy conditions,like we Virginian shore-chuckers have been experiencing.
Thanxs!

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.