Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got out there about 3pm, sat a good hour when wham!! caught back to back blues one 18 one 22. thought i was lucky but an older gentleman walked by with a bucket no kidding a full 5 gallon bucket of big blues smallest being about 18 biggest a good 28. he said they rolled in and out about every half hour. i was slaying them dont eat them but you guys are making me think i need to. in an hour i caught about 20 -30 blues all on cut squid with a bobber. alot of fun on a 5 foot ugly stick!

i need a digital camera!!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'm not sure I understood the post completely(how many in a 5 gallon bucket?).
But just as a FYI the limit on Bluefish is 10 per person per day. Also if you give away 2 fish that counts against your limit.
Here is a link to the reg. http://www.mrc.state.va.us/fr450.htm
Sounds like you had fun.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also if you give away 2 fish that counts against your limit
Hmm I dont see in there anywhere that says 2 fish given away counts against your limit. Not to be Lawyerly, but if you caught 20 fish but gave away 10 then you would only be in "possession" of 10 fish.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
"Stepping up on th soapbox"
Technically you are right but you are screwing th system an I fully disagree with your thinking.

"Stepping off th soapbox"

·
Registered
145 Posts
I tink all of us when cathin fish and the guy next to you is getting skunked we feel obligated to offer him a fish or two, this does not come of off our limt, it comes off of his. this is just concidered sportsman concideration. Lets think about the other guy? Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
With Croaker (that there is no limit) sure I will pass on when they ask.As far as a fish that is regulated than [email protected] no. Lets take Bluefish for example.Lets say I catch 10 but I have 6 friends with me.I give 10 to friend A an so on. Well I just killed 60 blues an itsOK.Hmmmm,an people are [email protected] cuz th blues aren't what they were 10yrs ago. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
LOL...yeah CDog in the case you gave I guess you would be stretchin the rules. Though if you have 6 people each paying the money for thier pier pass you are ENTITLED to keep 60 fish between you. Thats how it works on the charter boats. If 10 people are on the boat and the limit for each person is 10 fish then legally the 10 people are allowed to keep the 100 fish and shouldn't be looked down upon by anyone. In the case of catching 12 blues but giving away 2 I dont think I am killing the population too much. Me and 2 friends caught 30 fish altogether the other day and they are feeding everyone living in my house tonight. From what I have seen at the pier the last few days the blues are out there in full force. Besides, if I kill and eat a couple of blues I save the lives of a few mullets and other bait fish! :p

Naw but on the real I am a conservation advocate. I think its always best to follow the rules. But - when the blues are biting good and someone next to me caught no fish after paying 6 bucks to fish I am going to have no guilt over catching 12 or 13 and giving him the ones that are 'over my limit'.

If you are looking for someone to bitch at THESE are the people you should be concerned with -
A. During the period of January 1 through December 31, commercial landings of bluefish shall be limited to 1,138,412 pounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally, I could care less if the bluefish population is depleted. It seems like everytime I'm trying for trout or drum, bluefish come in and scare/eat them all out of there. They eat up all the better tasting fish.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he was definitly over the limit in the bucket but hell i didnt know. i dont eat them so i have no clue on size and limit. but hanks for the info.

o yea all of mine were on squid but the oldman was using a pink and white jerk jigger

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
GraphixDude,nothin personal but this a subject that p!sses me off.We(th recs) are always so quick to blame th comms.As you did,but lets look at ourselves.Th blues will be around till what Sept.?Lets say you fish with your 3 friends everyday an take 30 an they avg. 2#'s.Well that comes out to 3000#'s of blues that you killed alone.Legally I might add.Add into that mix giving 2 fish away here 3 there.And on top of that th guy that either dosen't know or dosen't care an you can see we are doing our fair share.
Add on top of that that th people keeping too many or "bending" th rules prolly do it with th more tasty fish also. Th rules are th rules either follow em or don't fish. JMHFO.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
"Personally, I could care less if the bluefish population is depleted. It seems like everytime I'm trying for trout or drum, bluefish come in and scare/eat them all out.

Some of you younger dudes might not remember the moratorium that Maryland and New York had years ago. After the commercial netters slayed all the cow female stripers on the Sesquanna Flats in MD, and the power company (Consolidated Edison) in NY killed all the striped bass fingerlings in the Hudson River, fishing for blues was all they had. The moratorium (No striped bass fishing allowed) in the Cheasapeake lasted for almost 10 years and only recently has the striper come back to the Huson River to spawn.

I usually do not give away any fish away to anyone who is fishing. I would rather give away fish to neighbors and they count as part of my limit.

Obey the law and take only what you need. ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I love catching Blues!! I'm not too vain to say I'm old enough to remember the beach blitzes down on Hatteras Island. On 5 or 6 days of any week in October to December you could count on finding a blitz somewhere between KillDevils Pier and the Point, just had to drive and look for the birds. I also remember people stacking them up like cord wood on the beach as they caught them only to throw them away later at the cleaning station when they got tired of filleting. Now a blues blitz on the beach is just about unheard of. And I'm not talking about the ones I see in the pictures, I'm talking about 3 footers that go 15-18 lbs. so thick they'd turn the water dark!! I'm steping off my soap box now but I hope you see my point. Oh yeah, it is possible to catch other fish when there's Blues around. I was in Rudee last night fishing with a friend and whenever the tailor-blues started biting the Grays seemed to be right there with them ( I've still got a nice 6 lber on ice in the box ), then this morning we were at the Lesner and I caught a couple 3-4lb Blues and a 15 in Flounder using the same Cast-master.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
That's what's so good about this board, we can help each other from repeating those mistakes by educating each other. Didn't have this "back in the day".

·
Registered
300 Posts
What you say makes a lot of sense Cdog. First of all NO ONE unless they are dirt poor and catching fish to survive needs 30 fish a day -- not even 10 fish a day. Personally I never want to clean more than 5 blues again ever, and I wouldn't THINK of throwing away any fish I killed (or any other wildlife) without eating it. The 30 fish I cleaned (again totally legally between 3 people) will probably be a once in a life time thing.

It seems to me that your bitch would be with the law - not those who catch and eat thier limit. Maybe the law should be changed to only allow 5 blues per person if the population is in danger.

The education I am getting from your posts and others is a great thing, and I am definately listening. When someone old enough to have seen a population of fish disapear talks, it has got my attention, and I will do my part to try to preserve them.

I still think that over a million pounds of fish caught for commercial reasons is who we should focus our efforts to change on, but I also realize that the fish being caught there are feeding familys. Its a complicated subject.

I guess the bottom line is that we all need to be respectful and conservative of all wild life - sometimes to the point of being even harder on ourselves than we legally have to. I for one want the fish to be abundant for my sons and grandsons and so on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have never met a TRUE sportsman that did not care about the environment nor the animals that live in it. A TRUE sportsman knows that the enjoyment he has is because those lands, waters, fish, fowl and animals exist, but only by a delicate balance.

We all know there is ALWAYS someone out there bending the rules to their own self gratification and the excuses abound. A TRUE sportsman doesn't need excuses or rules. He understands how delicate nature is and handles himself accordingly.

Something you young bucks need to understand or you'll be sitting in front of your computer on some message board one day saying I remember when we used to catch 60 or so a day and now... like some of us who can remember sometimes do here.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
oK....My turn on the subject......every species caught in our wonderful Bay some how some way,interacts with one another.If the Blue were done away like Rhino would wish,wouldn't that somehow affect the food chain for the fish or creatures that depend on the scraps that fall from what is not gobbled up?
It goes the same way with menhaden,crabs and mullet.If these creatures are over fished or have a spawning year,all fishermen in the Bay would suffer.
So when you wish a creature away,your effecting the Bay's food chain.

With that said,I don't see the problem with sharing your creel limit with friends or strangers that willingly accept it.As long there are no size limits or laws broken,why not share your creel,with friends that aren't having the same luck that you are having pulling up fish.
Take for instance,Flounder fishing.I was on my buddy's boat last year with 2 other friends.If I remember the creel limit last year was 7 per person and they have to be 17 and a half inches.Fished the islands,the channels.Unfortunately I still had yet bagged my first fish and my other two friends were tearing them up,and had gotten there limit,7 fish.Well I finally hooked up with 2 and still had 5 more fish to bag.The capt was getting ready to head back,And my 2 other buddies helped me get my limit.With the Capt,2 of my friends and me,we coulda kept 28 fish.So if you have a creel limit why not use it?

The only thing that ticks me off is people that I do not wish to give fish to.People that talk junk when I throw back a 17 1/4 flounder."I woulda kept that fish",they boast.People like that,and I know alotta of these folks on this board have met or seen them,disgust me and wouldn't give them any fish even if I met my creel limit,and they were hungry and living in a box.
sorry to be so long winded,but....Off my soap box now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Amen Surf and Turf,
I too am old enough to remember the Stripers in the bay in the late 60's where it was nothing for a charter to boat 30 or 50 fish. We all thought it was great, then they were gone. As for the Blues I too remember the blitzes at the banks where you caught the 15, 16 or 20 lb blues. Those days are gone, but if we are careful with the small guys today and only take what you need, they could come back. No care and they will be gone forever, or we will have to live with the same closure we just got over with the stripers. Lets all stick to catching only what we need, regardless of the limit and release the rest. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"oK....My turn on the subject......every species caught in our wonderful Bay some how some way,interacts with one another.If the Blue were done away like Rhino would wish,wouldn't that somehow affect the food chain for the fish or creatures that depend on the scraps that fall from what is not gobbled up?
It goes the same way with menhaden,crabs and mullet.If these creatures are over fished or have a spawning year,all fishermen in the Bay would suffer.
So when you wish a creature away,your effecting the Bay's food chain."

Never in my post did I wish that bluefish did not exist, but I do wish that there were less of them. The fact is that vmrc studies show that they are over-abundent and eating all of the other fish. The problem is that very few, if any, commercial fishermen, target them due to thier low food value. So they are more populated than other fish that are desired for food value. Also, if you are considering the food chain, we are part of the food chain, so if we quit catching blues, we are upsetting the ecosystem. So do your part and catch a blue.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts