Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not LD thrower, but I thought you guys on the board can help me here.

I just picked up a SL-X30SHV and it came with, what I assume, are red and white 'plastic' casting brakes. Of course, the manual didn't have anything on it.

I removed the side plate and found two prongs (rods) that the little plastic things (which I assume are brakes, but could be way off here) can be placed.

Am I way off base here? If my assumptions are correct, which should I use to slow the reel down, the reds, white or both(newbie to the large conventional reel).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found they are called brake collars in the schematics. I added them both and went down the street to cast in the river. Sure did slow down the reel a whole bunch but did not get any backlashes. So I'll trade 50' now for no bird's nest.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
C2H&G,I started out with both reds in mine. As I have gotten more comfortable I have switched them around. Right now I have one red an one white.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Slowing down a reel.

CDOG that is good info on the red and the white. I have both the reds in mine, they put it in when I bought it. I am using 20# xl and it is casting great. I was wondering when to go to the white, and am glad to find out that they can be split...good post...salt

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dawg for the comments.
Some followup questions:
Is it wrong to have BOTH reds and whites installed?

When you use one of each, do they go on the same or different 'prong'?

Thanks again for helping out the recently converted conventional newbie. I'll keep the brakes in for awhile until I get a hold of it and just continue to have long distance envy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Main Thing Is It Works!

Hi "chest2head&glassy",

The main thing is to get a system that works for you! It seem as if you have mastered this part of the equation quite well. Ideally what you want to accomplish is to find a system that let's you cast without encountering backlashes.

Normally you use one block on each bar, usually a larger block, as your skill gets better you switch from:

a pair of large blocks (one per side)

one large block and one medium block (one per side)

a pair of medium blocks (one per side)

one medium block and one small block (one per side)

one medium block (one side only)

a pair of small blocks (one per side)

one small block (one side only)

Even though this is the normal theoretical progression, this does not mean that every reel will be able to get to this last level. Whatever the lowest level you can cast with consistency is where you stop!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Longcaster nailed it

with th progressions of brakes.

One other thing,(I don't claim to be an expert but I have two sloshs an love em) is don't forget th spool tension knob.Its kinda a PITA as its under th drag star but that will help you with your control as well. IMHO C2H&G you should be able to drop down to just two reds an as you get more comfortable work your way down.

·
Registered
738 Posts
CDog has it nailed. I went down to one red in mine and it still blew up with the knob cranked all the way down, so Ive since(last night) switched back to one red and one white, gonna try it out tomorrow and see how it does.

Right now its loaded with about 225yds of Yo-Zuri 20# with a 100yds of 30# fireline backing(was sharkin with it this past week).

Adam

·
Registered
37 Posts
One more thing I've found out about the Daiwa. It seems to be change with the season. Spring or Fall you maybe able to throw a red and white, in the summer 2 reds or even the large Abu brake blocks, and in the winter you maybe able to use one red. I only saw a few feet difference in any of them. I run two reds all the time and just tighten the side tension a little in the summer. In the winter I use my 6500's.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I finally decided to open up my Daiwa 30 SHV; AND, discovered that there was only 1 red brake in it. Hmmmmm!; I said. I wonder whatever happened to that other red brake. And the extra white brakes that came with the reel are not in the box. I need to get some brakes. Who should I call? Thanks, pelican man. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look up your local Daiwa dealer. They should be able to order you some. I almost had to do the same when I dropped the white brake into my white carpet.

And thanks all for the great info on the brakes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just found out that Hatteras Jack's has just received end plates that are magged; for the Daiwa 20 and 30. I talked to them this morning. They are made with the clicker and without. That sounds like a real nice solution, to making my Daiwa 30 more user friendly; for myself that is. Thanks, pelican man. :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yup, I think Im gonna get a clicker mag plate for my 30shv too...sounds like just what that reel needs! Keeps you from having to take it apart and change brakes everytime the season changes.

Adam

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hatteras Jack's has the clicker mag plates for the 30shv and 30gwh for $65.00. Mine should be here middle of next week:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts