Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You can definitely hook and jump a tarpon at the Skyway. I've also caught and landed kingfish a plenty at the Skyway.

I've also done the same at the Fort DeSota Gulf Pier, but not as many at the Skyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont know about those 2 fish in particular, but I think for the overall variety of species you can catch at the skyway, it probably cant be beat as far as pier fishing in Florida.

Theres a pier somewhere at Sebastian Inlet that may top it though, at least at certain times, according to reports Ive read. I think its Inshorebasher who is a regular there, and his reports are always impressive. Again, not sure about those 2 fish, but its a great place to catch a lot of variety.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I love Sebastian as well as the Skyway and perhaps the new Panama City pier when it is finally rebuilt. Those are my three favorite of all time.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Nope, he's not joking. I have personally witnessed 250-300 pound goliath grouper (jewfish) caught off there. Of course you can't keep them but it's still fun if you're into that, and the possibility of blowing out your back.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Keeper gag grouper from 22 inches to mid 20's are frequently caught from the Skyway. Both sides of the Skyway Piers (north and south) have artificial reefs which run in staggered bands perpendicular to the piers you fish off of.

They were made out of the rubble of the old bridge that was knocked down by the tanker.

You can see them clearly in this photo I took a screen shot of from a map site that has the birds eye view.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few weeks ago I saw someone catch a Goliath 300+ pounds on the South Pier, and last week had one chase a few gags to the surface as we were reeling them in.

Fishmaster, come on over and get you some of these!! More Skyway Pier keepers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow!!

I am blown away! To bad I live in Jacksonville at this time and I don't really have the time to head down there right away....so, do you know of anywere In my neck of the woods I can do some good Pier or surf fishing? (I don't mean leagal Gags but anything better than whitting or the other common pier fish, I would even settle for BIG Blues).

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
If the Jacksonville pier has been repaired, you can catch kings off the end there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!

Before I log on here I went to Skyway's site and saw some pretty cool pics. It seems like either North or South pier you have a shot of hooking up with some MONSTERS be it Grooper, Shark or whatever. Do you have a favoret side and about how far down do you useally go? Also, I assume you use live bait when you can, so wht is your favorit, Manhaden, croker or what?I have a fishing buddy back in SC who is going to freak when he see some of these pics. He owns a 21 foot Whalecraft and we would haft to go out about 45 miles from shore to find keeper Grooper. This does it I haft go

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I believe live pinfish is the number one bait for the gag grouper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most folks use bait they catch at the pier (greenbacks, threadfins, pinfish, grunts, etc). Ive had more luck bottom fishing with cut or whole greenbacks/threads than I have with freelining pinfish, but the biggest gags come from live bait freelined way out over the rockpiles.

Frozen sardines also work, especially in the winter when the water is colder.

Fishmaster, both piers are good but I fish the South side 99.9% of the time. Went out yesterday all day but fishing was slow. Brought home a couple of snapper, not much else biting. A few people jumped some tarpon but we couldnt get any to bite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.