Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAnnibal and I went to SPSP for an early morning fish....and the good news is that our bait was completely safe....not even a nibble. Oh well, I guess the olf Tica's will have to wait until next year.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I got there around 5:50AM. Pitch black and the point was already occupied. The rain had left a large pond in between the parking lot and the shore line. Nothing better then trying to navigate in the sand ..... around a pseudo-ocean ..... while lugging a ton of gear.

Anyhow, we used spot as bait initially. Had it fresh so I figured we'd see how the blues were biting .......... nothing. Bought some bloodworms and bunker from Anglers. BTW - their bloodworms are HORRIBLE. They were super skinny and would literally pull apart when trying to remove them from their grass. Ugh. They had no fresh bait ......... best they had was frozen (SOLID) bunker.

So after trying spot for a while, I threw some metal to see what maybe was lurking .............. nothing. Finally said it was time to fish "easy". Rigged up a top/bottom rig with small hooks trying to land some spot, etc. Figured it was the go to method. Was gonna hopefully liveline one. Nope. Nothing. Had a nibble but as quick as you'd pick up your rod to feel it out - it would go away. I've never been able to soak bloodworms for any extended time without either landing something or losing bait. Here, it sat on the hook for 30 mins and would be as good as new. Fishbites were the same.

Bunker didn't even get touched. Threw some chunks on a couple rods and a bunker head on the other. Nothing.

Finally packed up around noon with only a couple small nibbles on the bloodworm. I don't think I've ever had that NON-productive of a day before.

FYI, between myself, GtoDave, my brother in law and father in law - we had 7 rods in the water. Nothing.

On the possitive side of things, I still have a boatload of spot and bunker sitting in the freezer for next week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got there around 5:50AM. Pitch black and the point was already occupied. The rain had left a large pond in between the parking lot and the shore line. Nothing better then trying to navigate in the sand ..... around a pseudo-ocean ..... while lugging a ton of gear.

Anyhow, we used spot as bait initially. Had it fresh so I figured we'd see how the blues were biting .......... nothing. Bought some bloodworms and bunker from Anglers. BTW - their bloodworms are HORRIBLE. They were super skinny and would literally pull apart when trying to remove them from their grass. Ugh. They had no fresh bait ......... best they had was frozen (SOLID) bunker.

So after trying spot for a while, I threw some metal to see what maybe was lurking .............. nothing. Finally said it was time to fish "easy". Rigged up a top/bottom rig with small hooks trying to land some spot, etc. Figured it was the go to method. Was gonna hopefully liveline one. Nope. Nothing. Had a nibble but as quick as you'd pick up your rod to feel it out - it would go away. I've never been able to soak bloodworms for any extended time without either landing something or losing bait. Here, it sat on the hook for 30 mins and would be as good as new. Fishbites were the same.

Bunker didn't even get touched. Threw some chunks on a couple rods and a bunker head on the other. Nothing.

Finally packed up around noon with only a couple small nibbles on the bloodworm. I don't think I've ever had that NON-productive of a day before.

FYI, between myself, GtoDave, my brother in law and father in law - we had 7 rods in the water. Nothing.

On the possitive side of things, I still have a boatload of spot and bunker sitting in the freezer for next week.
Ditto... I was there from 0300 until about 7:00... I think I saw you there. Were you the one with the fishing rods out and casting/reeling a lure? The only think I got that day were 4 strippers only about 9 inches. Lucky they are hooked at the tip of their mouths so I was able to release them alive. Last week was slow also but I did land a 24' striper and a 12 inch blue in 4 hours of fishing. Gave the blue away cause I'm getting sick of it. Good luck and thanks for the report.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Don't give up on Sandy Point just yet. Not many people fish there this time of year, but there are some nice stripers pulled out of there after dark.

Just switch up your bait from the spring season--throw bunker chunks instead of bloodworms.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Don't give up on Sandy Point just yet. Not many people fish there this time of year, but there are some nice stripers pulled out of there after dark.

Just switch up your bait from the spring season--throw bunker chunks instead of bloodworms.

I know there are fish out there. I would have LOVED to been on my kayak that day as I firmly believe they were around - just off the beach (maybe from all the rough weather the couple days before). Just couldn't find a dance partner.

We were using spot at first. Preferred bunker but could only find it frozen solid. So we had to wait a few hours for it to thaw. Figured spot was the next best bet for us. Then even baited a couple hooks with BW's in an effort to land some real fresh spot for cut bait or to possibly live line. NOTHING was paying our bait any mind - lol. Of course, next weekend it could be an all out blitz on the beach. Such is the way of fishing ..............

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fished the BB pilings and the rock piles on Sunday, livelining spot. Got skunked. Didn't hook up until we fished the rips at Thomas Pt. lighthouse. Even that was short. Bad fishing this weekend around the BB. Did better last Friday in Solomons fishing the bridge pilings. Caught 2 football 27"+26" rocks so hang in there. The big boys are moving up the bay I think. Going back out to Solomons Sat. Will post a report in Cheaters (Boating) section.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
i'm glad i'm not the only 1 that got skunked last weekend:D fished thomas potnt park fri morning casting to the rips in the wind until 9 am and nothing. 2 guys next to me pulled 2 keepers apiece by 8:30:mad: using white storm shad, i tried some simular plastics and ass. poppers but zip. went to JG park on the way home, put out some bw and spot chunks no takers. on sunday i went back to TPP with some white storm shad threw all morning, out of 8 people throwing saw only 1 18"er caught. heading to IRI sat.morning hope something is bitting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i'm glad i'm not the only 1 that got skunked last weekend:D fished thomas potnt park fri morning casting to the rips in the wind until 9 am and nothing. 2 guys next to me pulled 2 keepers apiece by 8:30:mad: using white storm shad, i tried some simular plastics and ass. poppers but zip. went to JG park on the way home, put out some bw and spot chunks no takers. on sunday i went back to TPP with some white storm shad threw all morning, out of 8 people throwing saw only 1 18"er caught. heading to IRI sat.morning hope something is bitting.
Good Luck Sam

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good Luck Sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts