Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an interesting article in Field and Stream about this guy who puts on a wetsuit and fish in the water. One word describe this guy, he is nuts! Article talks about this reporter who tagged along with him and got so scared he quit early. Talks about mako sharks and great white being caught in the same water...

Has anyone seen or done skishing? I found a video clip on the web of this guy...

http://www.surfcasting.com/movie.html

talk about taking distance casting out of fishing...

·
Registered
797 Posts
riptide..

jang, yeah i read it too. floating out in the ocean on your back like an otter doesn't appeal to me. it also talks about being washed out to sea by riptides. all in all a good article. but what i found particularily disappoinintg is it made mention of the type of tackle involved. my understanding is there are only a few manufacuturers of waterproof reels.

ralph

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Nope.............not me.....

But was probably the only person at the OBX 20 years ago with a rodholder mounted in a 9'6" surfboard :D

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah... that's what I was thinking. On his website, I read how he wears a 300 dollar wetsuit, for that money I would buy a kayak and just fish on top of the water.

He said he gets dragged by the fish and its kind of like water skiing...

·
Registered
194 Posts
skishing

Paul M is one of the founders (kinda) of skishing. It is a very popular way of fishing Montauk, expecially the south side where it's very rocky and difficult to simply put on waders and korkers. It allows one to reach areas that are impossible to fish in other ways. Sometimes, they go out 200 yds to reach their spots...usuall a piece of rock about a foot in width. Of course Paul is an extremist and a very capable swimmer. There are others that'll just put on a wetsuit to fish closer to shore but need something more than waders. Even if you have the best clothing for waves crashing over you, nothing beats a wetsuit for this kind of fishing.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The reel in the article looks like a $600.00-$1000.00 Van Staal reel.Reportedly water proof and a life time warrenty

I gotta give the man props.He has larger ball$ than I do.I freek out when a crab or a flounder sweeps be toes!And he does this in the cold and darkness of nite....

Didn't mention fishin w/ weight-but did mention fishing with eels,so I am assuming he is free-spooling the eel .

Not too sure how hooks the eel @ night outta a zip lock bag.I have a hard time handling them slimy suckers on a boat with a towel.

But I think I will stay in the shallows-might be just a little bit safer there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Never overlook the obvious,

A guy like that has gotta' be using them "controlled substances."

·
Registered
18 Posts
the guys nuts. i mean i put on a wet suit too sometimes when its cold under my waders and walk out waiste high but swimming 200 yards out thats nuts :jawdrop:

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats understandable swimming to a bar or rock then standing up and fishing but floating on your back i think they made that story up

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
story is true, pick up this month's article on Field and Stream. Also, you can search on google for skishing...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Oh its true have seen people do it in Fl before but I am sorry My a$$ is not dumb enough yet to try it. I won't get eaten by anything other than flies with my toes in the sand.;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
To me fishing is suppose to be relaxing and floating on your back to get to a spot is not better way to fish and surfing fishing is hard enough without adding more risk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, looks like I might end up fishing with Paul M this weekend for stripers in Montauk. If I actually meet up with the guy and fish with him, I'll let ya folks know what he's really like. I don't think I'll be in a wetsuit, I was promised they'll take it easy on me.

:jawdrop:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts