Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these at BPS yesterday. Thought of trying them as sinker sliders. Seemed they would be alot safer than the plastic deals. Has anyone ever used them for this purpose?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I just use a low lb. test snap swivel. For one, it makes it easier to change weights based on surf, tide, current, etc, and second, using a low lb. test snap swivel makes it easier to retrieve your stuff if the sinker hangs up on rocks, etc. That way, ideally, you just loose your sinker instead of the whole rig. Also, the plastic ones SUCK with braid, although they now have a version that is supposedly "braid friendly", but more expensive. The snap swivel works just as well and is far cheaper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just use a low lb. test snap swivel. For one, it makes it easier to change weights based on surf, tide, current, etc, and second, using a low lb. test snap swivel makes it easier to retrieve your stuff if the sinker hangs up on rocks, etc. That way, ideally, you just loose your sinker instead of the whole rig. Also, the plastic ones SUCK with braid, although they now have a version that is supposedly "braid friendly", but more expensive. The snap swivel works just as well and is far cheaper.

I'm with ya on the snap swivel. I do the same thing when fishing the jetties. Strong enouth to cast when ya want, weak enough to open up when hung up. (Better than using #10 line for the sinker)

Also when changing to a bottom sinker configuration, just hook up both snap swivels to rig to keep the floating one in check.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Got some

they now have a version that is supposedly "braid friendly", but more expensive. The snap swivel works just as well and is far cheaper.
I expect to give the "braid friendly" sliders a try this spring. I picked some up on e-bay for cheap.:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I'm a 100lbs - 150lbs snap swivel guy myself. I've seen those sliders on a few boat rigs and on in-line daisy chains. The only thing that would dissuade me from using them would be the sand entraping inside and rubbing the leader.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
al for once has a point. sand will abrade it. that being said, with the way that thing is shaped, on a cast, there will now be two pressure points on the line, not just one.

the cheapie coastlocks are like 2 dollars for 12, and that is about as imaginative as you need to get on sinker slides.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The real problem is when the line twists. I tryed something similar about 10 years ago and was not pleased at all. Let me know if they work out.

Coastlock and a swivel or McMhanon and a swivel work for me.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same concerns as Nserch4Drum, but saw em and like less than $3 for five, I figured what the heck, I'd try em and see how they worked.

Larry..............Put the mouse down, and step away from the keyboard!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.