Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bailed on Clyde and John this weekend,went to Ocracoke and didn't catch anything, I figured I put up a spanish report.

The Spanish are Chewing!

I decided to go today about 11 and after a couple phone calls and no one that could go spur-o-the-moment, I went by myself.

I got some gear in to troll, handlines were first, but I couldnt keep them in long enough to get other gear out. I pulled Yozuris and metal withthe metal prevailing as I backed off to fish just to lines as they were so thick. I pulled the gear in and went casting after that with excellent results, then to top water plugs and the fish still didn't slow down.

Good day and got the boat real dirty.

Saw a bunch of schools of rays and one lone cobia that I would gusee at plus fifty pounds but wouldnt budge off of his norther route. Probably full of spanish himself.
Check out the bottom finder with the bait and the fish on top of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sweet catches! Wish I could get out, but I'm going to be in Raleigh this coming weekend. I'd like to get a few of them tasty critters...haven't had any fresh in a while!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice catch firespyder! I got a question for you. My brother just got a boat, first he's owned. Actually he got boat fever after buying that boat & now has 3 that he bought all in the last few months. Anyway, we live in the mtns & run around in the reservoirs mostly. Anyway, I just bought him a new fishfinder, the 525, same as you have. The one that was on the boat was an antique, if it were any older it would have had a paper graph w/ it. So with us having no experience w/ boats or fishfinders I'm wondering how to read what is showing in your pic. It looks to me like you are over a hump on the bottom & there is a huge school of bait hovering over the hump. But your description says "Check out the bottom finder with the bait and the fish on top of it.". So does that mean what I think is a hump on the bottom is actually a big school of bait and what I thought was a school of bait is actually a mess of spanish on top of them?

I just got to go out w/ the fishfinder for the first time to lake james on sunday. We took my nephew & his friend so we spent most of the day pulling them around in a tube & playing around. We did play w/ the fishfinder for a bit too, but we turned the fishID feature on. We spotted quite a few fish, but nothing schooled up like that. Do you find that once you get used to reading the sonar that it's better to not use the fishID feature?

·
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha, That is what I was saying

That is, that there is bait underneath the fish.

With a black and white, it may be difficult sometimes so youll have to get an idea of where your fishing. A good start would be a topo map of the area you intend to runt he boat. If you know there is steep terrain then you can suspect that there may be drop offs, ledges, hump, and dips. In theis case, I know the bottom area where I was at and even though there are ledges and large rocks there, there are no humps anywhere around them. This picture was taken as I was about a mile from my intended trolling target. I can also tell because of the ground feedback on the bottom and the bait over it are distinct from one another, then there is the fish on top of that.

Lastly, I took the picture a little late as I had already passed over it. But the start of the pod was just off the bottom as well.

One thing I may have considered is that I didnt catch anything trolling through that mark so it could have been grey trout on the bottom with larger fish such as blues above it. However, since I didnt pick up any blues that would have been doubtful. I Suspect however that it was Cigar Minnows with spanish over them as a lot of the spanish I was catching were throwing up small cigar minnows.

·
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Walt,
Wouldnt you know someone finally started making these things and selling them. (Clarkspoon Co.)
I may start tying my own again because right now they are really likeing the red straw even over the clark spoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.