Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys and Gals, I keep hearing about the rockfish that are being caught with sores on them. I thought it was really nothing until I caught one last summer with sores on it and it was blind in one eye. I did some searching on the web and here is what I found. This link will take you to a story I found: http://www.bayweekly.com/year02/issueX15/chesoutX15.html

I thought that it was something that was like an anomaly but the fish are still turning up. Tell me what you guys think of this........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
STOP POLLUTION this would also really be a good thing

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah MasterCaster it has been a while since I have caught any rockfish with sores on it but this weekend I caught 3 of them like that. It is sad when they are all keepers and you have to throw them back.:(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well there's a reason why they're keepers. They've probably been caught several times and thrown back b/c of the sores. If anything good comes from it, it will help more fish reach mature breeding stock age. They all fight the same, just can't eat em.:(

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings bitterchild!

Unfortunately, fish that can't maintain their own body weight will never be able to "spare" the extra calories it takes to reproduce. The reproduction cycle of the rockfish (striper) is energy intensive, requiring extra calories to produce the eggs, and even more calories to migrate upstream to the spawning areas of the major rivers. You can see the toll on spawned-out healthy fish.

Another way of looking at it is by studying hybrids. Hybrids are normally "mules" and incapable of spawning. Because they don't need to expend the extra energy, they grow faster and have deeper bodies than the parent fish.

My personal opinion (and one theory cited by the author) is that the lack of bunker in the bay is affecting the health of the striper population.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts