Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't have a single favorite. There's too many that work well to pick just one. :D
Some that I use. BTW, some of the pics were taken when I got the lures. I change out many of the hooks to either Owner or VMC. I'm giving some of the newer inline single hooks a try too, but don't have any pics of lures with them on them, yet! ;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
those are pencils.

these are needles.

Pencils work on the surface and float generally. (there are sinking pencils too) They require the user to work the rod to make it dance and splash side to side causing a big commotion. Needles are pretty much the opposite. They sink and have very little action, just require a slow retrieve and maybe a twitch that will keep them just below the waters surface.

Plugs can get pricy real fast. Most decent ones start at $17-20 a piece and can even more than double that. (I'm talking all ocean plugs, not smaller back bay stuff)

·
Registered
257 Posts
those are pencils plugs

these are needles.

Pencils work on the surface and float generally. (there are sinking pencils too) They require the user to work the rod to make it dance and splash side to side causing a big commotion. Needles are pretty much the opposite. They sink and have very little action, just require a slow retrieve and maybe a twitch that will keep them just below the waters surface.

Plugs can get pricy real fast. Most decent ones start at $17-20 a piece and can even more than double that. (I'm talking all ocean plugs, not smaller back bay stuff)
Thanks for clearing that up. I will be getting into surfcasting lures this year along w/ my pops and Tyrik. Will be fishing jersey and hopefully further north. Does New Jersey allow felt bottom waders ?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I will be getting into surfcasting lures this year along w/ my pops and Tyrik. Will be fishing jersey and hopefully further north. Does New Jersey allow felt bottom waders ?
Felt bottom boots as far as I know are only a concern in freshwater where organisms can be transferred from 1 body of water to another, in the ocean there should be no worries.

You missed a hell of a fall up in NJ, i keep telling myself I'm done for the season but I think i will make another trip up tomorrow.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Kurazy Kracka, nice needles! I have quite a few myself! I don't know or really care how much money I have tied up in tackle. I have a lot of lures of all types, and I make a lot of my own stuff too.
It's only money & what's it for if I can't enjoy it. I worked for it & none of us will live forever! Hopefully my grandkids will have one heck of a nice surprise someday! :rolleyes:

Andy, not all those I have are cheap, but I have no issue with trying lower cost lures. Some have been duds, but I've tried some cheap lures that caught as well or better than much more costly lures. I do have some more expensive lures too. Cost is relative IMO.

Fishingkid, take your time with obtaining lures. Most I've got now were purchased or traded over the last 25 to 30 years. I'm 60 years old, and enjoy trying them all, but cost is always a concern when starting to build a tackle collection. Buy a few at a time, try them out & see what you like & what you don't.

Hell, I probably have many thousands of $$$ tied up in fly tying & tackle making supplies too. I love to fish, with any type of gear but couldn't always find time because of work & family obligations. That's life, so fly tying, tackle making & building my gear collection was the next best thing & I've enjoyed that too. When I had time to fish, I usually had what I needed when I needed it. :D

If you don't do anything else, keep asking questions & keep learning and get out there & fish as much as you can. That will make you a better angler than all the tackle in the world! ;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Those aren't my needles, I own very few. Never caught on them so I have no confidence in them and don't throw too much. I have 5-6 lures that I continue to go to since I have confidence in them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts