Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I improved my casting last year....I was very pleased with the technique....however, I developed a sore right shoulder and been working on it all summer.....what do you guys do?.....we are suppose to cast somewhat sidearm....not directly overhead...that puts a lot stress on the shoulder.....I have watched the videos and have a good book by a expert tournament caster......so I following the recommendations.....damn!.....

· Premium Member
3,350 Posts
let it heal!!!

I have suffered through several casting injuries over the years including shoulder. Rest is the key, if it continues then see a doctor.

Learn to start slow and accelerate through the cast. Also focus on coming around at 45 degrees, not overhead or sidearm.

Hope this helps,

Tommy

· Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Aside from casting, what other activities do you do that involves strenuous movement that involves your shoulder? Do you properly warm your shoulders up by increasing the blood flow to the joint, before the "said" strenuous activity? What other athletic activity is a person involved with?

I've found that usually people who don't warm up their shoulders as well as condition themselves have the greater risk of shoulder pain and injury. GOLFERS are the WORST. Especially going at it COLD! Simple exercises before during and after will alleviate a great deal of the pain. You also need to know your body what exactly is causing the pain and what part of the shoulder it is coming from.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no your right, I was not warming the shoulders up....that was a big mistake.......I need to do some sort of warm up procedure.....this coming winter fishing season......do you have a website with some warmup exercises to recommend?.....and thanks Tommy for the reply...I think I'll video my casting this winter and see if I'm doing something wrong.........I sit around playing the guitar a lot in the summer here in sweltering florida.....I guess its possible that could aggravate the shoulder...haha.....anyway...thanks guys.....

· Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Here are some suggestions for you for therapy during your pain. You can use resistance bands and increase the power as you strengthen the joint. Later I will give you some weight training excercises and I suggest you join a Healthclub .. Planet Fitnesss, if you have in pe in your area is the best deal for the money.. You don't need a great deal of wieight and machines.

Exercises include but are not limited to one set each and at least 25 repetitions, three times a week during recovery. After that, use them whenever you get ready to cast in the future... You will need to look these up if you are uncertain of how to perform the excercises.

Standing internal and external rotations (power bands )
Scapula retraction and protractions. (Power bands )
Lying internal and external rotations on your side, ( I prefer using a dumblell)
Lying internal and external rotations on your back, ( I prefer using a dumblell)
Bent over horizontal abduction (dumblell preferred)

These simple exercises will greatly expedite your recovery and also prep you when you get ready to cast. I will give some shoulder excercises later to use in the gym during weight training.

One last note ... If you feel a grinding sound or sensation in your joint while performing these excercises.. It's arthritis , not much you can do about it...just avoid injuring the joint further and back off with the resistance.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks...buddy.......I have started on the power bands.....3x a week.....I don't want to push it.....I hear a lot of clicking in my joints.....but no pain when moving through stretching exercises.....correcting bad sleeping habits has been a real dog....staying off the shoulders....

· Registered
1,467 Posts
When fishing I often find myself casting as hard as I can--- Trying to get that extra few feet----- Very hard on the body after a couple of days. Good way for an injury in any sport that is repetitive. Do I really need that extra few feet. Mostly no. Drop back to 85-90% and help prevent an injury.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.