Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what exactly a shock leader is is it just a peice of heavier weight mono or something else also i use braid lines on just about everything the spider wire stealth in 50 lb 15lb dia is thicker than the 50 lb 15 lb dia pp i have used both of these on spinning and casting reels my choice would go to spider wire only thing about it is it gets spongey on the spool so u got to un wrapp it and re do it every so often also if on end of the line starts getting real ruff and u dont trust it runn it back wards on the reel by using a spare reel or spool and put what u had on top on bottom and whats on bottom on top it seem s to last a lil bit longer and u aint got to worry about replacing it after u cut so much off.

also on on of my spinning rigs i have a hundred yds or so of 130 lb big water spider wire with 150 yds of spire wire stealth 65lbs and 50 lbs pp 100 yds all tied to gethe with blood knots . it casts really well i use it alot at a dam up here for cats have been known to just about hit the other side of the lake.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes, You Are Right!

A shock leader is just a heavier length of line that you connect ahead of your main line that will substain the pressure that is generated during the cast. It is wrapped around the spool of the reel approximately 5 turns and extends the full length to the sinker or lure.

The recommended minimum strength for shock leaders are:

10 pounds of shock leader strength for every ounce of casting weight.

Examples:

1 ounce sinker or lure = 10 pound test shock leader minimum

3 ounce sinker or lure = 30 pound test shock leader minimum

8 ounce sinker or lure = 80 pound test shock leader minimum

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does color matter at all for shock leader?

I have a spool of green 30 lb Ande line that I acquired more or less by mistake. I use it for fly leader butts for steelhead fishing, tying up top and bottom rigs, and other miscellaneous uses. It is that very bright green. Would the color disqualify it for shock leader useage in saltwater?

·
Registered
712 Posts
inlander for the most part shockleader color doesn't matter i personally don't like to use hi vis shockleaders i prefer clear or dark green that way i can tell when i'm close to landing a fish since i use hi vis line when i see the dark green leader i know it 30 ft or so away.hope this helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm new to surf fishing and have a question for you experienced surf casters. I've loaded my reel with 20 pound line and a 50 pound shock leader. Since I plan to fish with bait, do I need to make my rigs out of the same test line as my shock leader? :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
All line between the sinker and the mainline needs to be equal to the shockleader. All components must absorb the shock of the cast including swivels, clips, etc., if they receive force from the sinker. The leaders between the hooks and the rigs center section that do not feel the force of the cast can be thinner. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fishman your suggestion is dangerous , many surf guys use 12-15lb test running line , 24-30lb doesn't cut it as a shock leader . I don't use any shocker under 50lb regardless of the weight I am casting . There are other advantages to a shocker ,,,it gives you heavier line to hold when trying to beach a fish , heavier line shocker on spinning tends to not cut into you finger so much if you don't have a finger guard .Heavier line tends to not tangle near the rig section.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Re tie

REGULARLY. I usually trim 6" or so after every 6 to 10 cast, more if the line feels nicked.

Its a real ugly site, when a weight is popped off and hits someone down the beach.

I have personally seen an 8 oz sinker buried in a K5 radiator. Imagine what it would do to someones head. :jawdrop: :barf:

·
Registered
739 Posts
You dont need 80# for a shocker...50# will hold 8oz all day long. The highest I go is 60# and thats when Im exclusively throwin 10-12oz + bait, which is seldom.

Drum rods I use 50# 6-10oz
Small rods I use 20-40# 2-4oz
Spanish/Plug rods 20-40# 1-3oz(40# for Stripers).

Just make sure you re-tie every 10-15 casts to yer terminal tackle, and change shockers once a day.

Adam

·
Registered
105 Posts
Or....tie a 4' section with 100# test....

......I use this method to attach the slider for the weight and hook. This allows more strength around the weight/hook area and gives a firm handhold when landing large fish in the wash. Attach using a no-name knot; the swivel with slide up the leader til it hits this knot and then stop. A bead can also be used to help stop it. Very dependable and I like having that extra thickness where most of the pressure from the cast exists. Further, it will help reduce break-off from the fish fighting the line as it rubs against it's body/fins.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm still learning and have a long way to go... but that's part of the fun.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi all....thanks, i'm a novice surf fisherman and i was struggling to understand what a shock leader did and how....now its much clearer! and kinda obvious now i know...

VA-Apraisr....i don't understand what the term 'slider' refers to, and therefore how your solution works...and i also don't know the no-name knot....(steep curve)

could you expand on either of these?

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Slider and No-name knot...

.....first, pull up the HatterasOutfitters.com board and most of your answers will be there. They show all kinds of knots including the no-name.

The slider is the swivel attached to the weight you are throwing. The swivel allows the weight to stay firmly on the sand when the fish swallows the bait ( so he won't get spooked and drop the bait when he feels tension from the weight). Slide swivel over your shocker leader and then tie shock leader to your hook. This will allow the weight to hold firmly while the bait washes around. The 100# is about 3-4' long and I tie that to my shocker first with a no-name knot; then, put swivel on this 100# test line and then attach the hook. More protection from a break-off during the cast and a strong grip around the area the fish will come in contact with during the fight.

Hope this helps, John.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm like MarkE, I use a coloured leader - usually Yellow as I tend to fish over SAND, which happens to be Yellow in colour.

Like Conn I only use 80lb test, this gives me the safety that I need.

As for the length it's usually 30-33', plenty long enough to play fish without having trouble int he 'backwash' zone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
VA Apraisr....think i get it - basically it goes in this order then:

standard line tied by no-name knot to 'normal' shocker (long enough to reach from reel to weight)

normal shocker tied by no-name knot to 100lb shocker (3-4 inches long)

slider swivel (which weigh is attached to) placed on 100lb shocker so it can slide the 3-4 inch length.

100 lb shocker tied to hook (half blood knot?)

so my next question is about the fish only having only 3-4 inches of 'slack' before it feels the weight....is that right?
I assume this is normally enough before you would feel the fish and have set the hook?

and do you use no-name knots because they are stronger than using swivels to link the lines together?

cheers

·
Registered
105 Posts
Uh...that's 3 to 4 FEET of 100# test...

......the weight can move up this piece 3-4 feet before it hits the no-name knot and stops going further up the leader. I usually leave about 1/2" of tag end on this knot to make sure the swivel can't get past the knot and cause problems landing the fish.

Secondly, I use an albright knot to attach my 20lb line to the 50lb shocker; again, check on the HatterasOutfitters board for many knots to learn; use the best one you can tie!

You can use a swivel at the 50# to 100# connection, but, I already have a swivel attached to my hook, so another swivel is just more weight ( more weight = less distance ). Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts