Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what types of knots are best used for shock leaders? i tried the unit knot but the knot itself wont fit through the guide on my penn 209 casting reel. any thoughts?

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sharkbite,

You might just have to switch to a heavier line, and lose the shock leader on that reel. That seems to be an easier alternative than having the reel modified. Wasn't life easier when we all just used 20 pound test, bought ready-tied hooks, and tied loop knots, 'cause that's all we knew how to do? Ha! We caught fish, too, didn't we?

Bottomfisher

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I use a blood knot to tie 50 lb Jinkai leader material to my 20 lb test YoZuri Hybid main line on my conventional surfcasting reel (which has a levelwind). No problems. Make sure to wet the line, and slowly snug up both lines to ensure a stong knot.

It has not failed to date, however, I replace the shocker before every trip to the surf or when those large rays make it look like sandpaper. For rays, I tie on a 80 lb test short (24-36") leader and connect it to the shocker for insurance. ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
This th one ya talking about DD?Courtesy of Flathead.
courtesy of my friend Fred and the late Mike White.If anyone can find a diagram that actually shows the knot's name please post it.I personnaly believe it's a local modification of the Holden knot:

Use 40# or 50# shock leader(I use 30# for 6500s and 40# for 7000s,but 50# will also work on the 7000s)

Take the shock leader and tie a double overhand knot,leaving about a 6-8" tag end.Slowly cinch this knot until it beocmes about 1/4" long when it will do a little "flip",resulting in what looks like a saddle or rocking chair leg figure(when held up to eye level)I personally like to call it a saddle.Hold this knot in your left hand,saddle ends(loops) pointing up(**...**,the asterisks here indicate the saddle end loops)Take the running line and run it UP through the loop on the right side of the knot and then back DOWN through the loop on the left side,leaving about another 6-8" tag end.Take this running line tag end and bring back up next to the knot,forming a big loop.Next,wrap this tag end aroung the shock leader,wrapping away from you, five times,come back through the loop you created next to the overhand knot,and then back through the big loop formed(this part is actually an improved clinch knot tie)Holding the shock leader and the running line in the last three fingers of each hand,grab the tag ends with the thumb and forefinger of each hand and VERY SLOWLY begin to cinch the knots.Before you get them tight to the lines,wet'em really good with spit.Then,when you get them nice and snug to the lines release the tag ends and pull with the shock leader and running line,cinching the two knots until they butt against each other(add more spit now if ya need too,(can't get too much )Take the tag end of the double overhand and cinch the double overhand as tight as possible,then do the same for the improved clinch on the other side.Make absolutely sure that the two knots are butted together before tightening.Tighten completely and give it the strength test.

It took me about two hours of serious practicing to become familiar with this knot,but then it beomes a piece of cake.It's much easier than it reads,and if you see it in person,it's even easier.I showed it to Baitwaster at the Raleigh Boat and Saltwater show and he picked right up on it.And,it is the very best single line shock knot I've ever seen.I like it much,much better than the Improved Albright

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I don't have any problems with my levelwinds and my knots.
What size lb tests are you connecting?
The knot I use is really small and comes out of a book I have--I don't even know what's its called.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
connecting 20# to 40#.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Ah, I usually use 12 or 15 (no reason for 20 when most of what I catch is croaker and other stupid little fish). 20 might be a problem on my abu levelwind. It is close to being to big already.

·
Registered
568 Posts
This knot works with heavy mono to light mono and is used on the small ABU levelwinds..http://floridasurffishing.com/cgi-bin/floridasurffishing/noteboards/gowge.cgi?read=54395
Animated knots:http://www.whopperstopper.net/Knots/knots.htm
You can also use a Varivas tapered leader. They start out at 18# mono and end at 70# mono and they're 40' long. They cost $10 for 5 leaders.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I went there and saw the knots. It looks like a uni knot on one end and just a regular old overhand on the other. The one I do is similar in that is uses a uni, but the other end doesn't get a knot--it gets twisted into the uni knot--having one know instead of two helps make it smaller. I sometimes add a touch of superglue to strengthen it (althought I have never had problems with the strength of the knot).

Some nice illustrations!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sharkbite,

I'm guessing you're casting about 4 ounces. I'd go to 25 pound test with no shock leader. But then, I like to fish off by my lonesome. If the knots being recommended don't work for you, you might want to consider having that guide replaced or altered somehow (if it looks like it could be done).

Bottomfisher

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks,Cdog,as I said it is complicated.. :rolleyes: But like any knot,with practice,it can be tied in low light,I saw a bud of mine tie it.. But illustations work much better,and there is no link that has been found to this knot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rods being used off a pier for king fishing (live bait) not going to be casting any weight. The leader is pretty much just for strength to hold the fish once it comes into the pier so it can be gaffed or netted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sharkbite,

Your's is about the only case I can think of where I'd be using a braided line over mono.
If casting distance isn't an issue, but strength is, why not? Well, I guess some braids can saw through your equipment -- I'm no expert on different types of braided line, but I'd start looking into it if I got into that type of fishing.

Best of luck,

Bottomfisher

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sharkbite,if casting isn't a problem,then learn to tie a bimini to a double uni,nail-uni,or a no-name knot.. These knots are the strongest I know.. As long as you have a bimini there,the knot(baring an overhand :rolleyes: ) will be stonger!! The bimini acts as a shock absorber and will actually make the length almost as strong as actual running line!
I wouldn't consider,in the case you are talking a levelwind,to be much of an issue when it comes to knot size,because you can feed the knot through levelwind and all the guides and still get over 30' of shock! That should be enough shock for any fish..
If you feel it to be an issue use the bimini to no-name knot it is compact,easy to tie,and stong! IMHO,a lot stronger than blood or reg albright.. There are plenty of links that show how to tie bimini and no-name(or bristol knot) ;)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
DD,don't forget my new favorite,Th Spider/No Name.Easier than a Bimmini an works till I figure th Bimmini out. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts