Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I use a 14 lb line, should the leader be twice the strength of the line or stronger. What is the best knot to use? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Rule of thumb is 10lb per OZ of lead being tossed. But many people cap it out at 50-60lb test for fishing.
As far as knots start in the knot guide to the left. And what ever you can tye the best is the best knot. I have used an albright most of the time with the Bimini Twist to the no-name as one of the best. But the most important thing about knots is you need to be able to tye it well. In other words a well tyed 70% knot is better tha a 100% poorly tyed knot.

·
Registered
314 Posts
leader

i use a leader thats about 50 - 60 and only a cobia broke it. I lke to use the fisherman knotes. It has never let me down yet.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
StingRayLou said:
How long of a leader?
Depends on what you are fishing for. When using 8oz of weight I use a 50# test leader an like to get th rod length plus 3-5 wraps around th reel.

·
Registered
315 Posts
how long a leader?

When fishing from a pier like Seagull, that is high off the water, you need an even longer shock leader. It should at least reach the water if not the bottom. The ideal is that only the leader is exposed to the pylons when bring a fish along the pier.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quatro line

When I got my new slosh30 at Lighthouse tackle I had them load 17lb Sufix line and they put on a 50lb Quatro shock leader. I haven't thrown it very much yet but it seems that Quatro really sucks and has alot of memory, or is it just me?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
butch quatro does have alot of memory, it should not matter on your slosh the lone will come off the spool straight not like it does on a spinning reel, where little or no memory is wanted.
quatro is a high abeasseve line and makes foe a good shock leader. dont be worry about a little memory, the line will come off your reel true and you dont have to worry much about breaking off.

good luck

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts