Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the good news, my first surf rod and reel arrived in the mail yesterday! It's a 12' spinning combo.

In preparation for it arriving I bought 14lb mono line and 50lb mono to use for shock leaders. The problem that I am having is that when I go to cast, as soon as I release the bail, the shock leader (5 turns around the reel) uncoils from the reel. The shock leader is Shakespeare Omniflex monofilament and I must admit it is pretty thick and stiff but it was the only thing I could find locally.

Do I need a different shock leader line or do you think it's something else?
:confused:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Due to a serious lack of information I will start at the very beginning.

1. Attach your rig and shockleader to the line.
2. Attach a sinker that is 3oz or more.
3. Keep the bail closed as you lower the sinker to your preferred casting length.
4. Move the bail to the top under the rod blank.
5. Hold the line tightly with one finger.
6. Finally, open the bail and cast.

The line between your spool and your finger must remain tight at all times until you complete the cast or the line will uncoil. Make sure that the spool anti-reverse switch is turned on. Also, give Longcaster a call for one on one help; you have the number.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved!

You guys are the best. As I don't know anyone else that pier and surf fishes, you are my virtual mentors.

All of your replies were helpful and it is great to know, Longcaster, that I can call you when I need to.

Longranger, you provided the key clue when you said that the line between the reel and my finger must be tight. I was simply pressing the line with my finger in the wrong place. I was pressing the line to the rod a few inches above the reel spool instead of directly at where the line leaves the spool. A beginners mistake. I'm sure I'll have many more.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Do like I did, switch ove to 50# Power Pro super braid and you don/t need shock leader. I just use 24" of 50# flo. carbon leader attached to the super braid via a Sampo welded ring snap swivel.

Catman.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi rocknwine, here is a tip you may already know. make sure that you tighten your drag all the way down before casting. this helps prevent the line from slipping and cutting your finger wide open.once your line is payed out simply adjust your drag back to the desired setting. good luck,dennis

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Catman-I wouldn't even try to fish the Point in NC with a spool of power-pro.The braided stuff will cut off mono.I have solved the problem by using power pro(85 lbs test) as a shock leader,[email protected] least 5 turns around the spool-on 15 to 17 lbs test.The only dis-advantage braids have to mono is the stuff can and will cut your hand when trying to pull big fish over structure,trust me on that(you can still see the scars on my hands.)

I have found out the hard way to do as the Romans do,especially if you are fishing in there back-yard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
PLEASE be careful with the PowerPro line. Almost took off my finger tip with 20# throwing a 3 oz Kastmaster-and I am NOT a long distance type caster. Can also get cut just pulling line out with drag on. Smaller the line obviously the greater the chance of getting cut. I use the following bought on this BB and haven't been cut casting since--I use spinning reels only.

LEATHER FINGER PROTECTOR
Leather finger protectors, prevent finger injury when casting.
$1.25 ea

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Flistell,

What is BB?, and is there a web sight or a link you could send me because I and looking at the 50# Power Pro and I hate loose a finger or even cut one.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I think BB is Bulletin Board.
Tackle shops carry the finger and thumb protectors. An alternative is to use athletic tape. $3/roll should last a lifetime. One downside - the tape gets slippery at first. I rough it up with sand after applying it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
BB=Bullitin Board. If you look to the left on this page you will see:
Tackle Shop
Gear
Hit Gear and go to Billy Buton, then go to accessories. Will find some nice stuff as well as great finger covers. I am not connected with this site in any way other than a member.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
BigT- I use a leather batting glove,I'v cut out four of the fingers,leaving my casting finger alone the glove will last you for about four or five years or more, it all depends on how much you fish.TRIGGER

·
Registered
24 Posts
try making your own shock leaders, that way youll see how thick and long you really do want it, and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use 80# teflon treated spider wire for shock leader and 50# power pro as the main line. by using a long shock leader, it preserved the main line from abrasions.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Terpfan,

Do you have any problems with a braid shocker? Lots of talk on how they are not as safe as mono shockers as braid does not have any stretch. Have you ever snapped one during casting 6 oz, 8 oz, or heavier weights?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
terpfan,
are you fishing the bay only? what size sinker?
50 might not even need a shockleader.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts