Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best and smallest knot that can be used to tie a 50# mono shock leader to a 20# mono running line? The challenge is getting the not to flow smoothly out of and into the level wind (Abu 6600). I currently tie a regular overhand not in the leader line and a uni knot in the running line. I know the easiest fix is to go conventional, but, as was suggested on this board, I need to get comfortable with the level wind baitcaster before I move up to the conventional.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have used "varias" tapered shock leaders with pretty good success. They are pretty pricey & you have to mail order them from europe, but they definately work. They taper from something like 70lb test down to 17lb. They actually solve a couple of problems because you are now tieing 17lb to 20lb so you get a nice small knot & you don't have to deal with the whole tieing dissimilar line sizes issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Albright's a good one, but probably won't go through the levelwind with the 50# shock.

I started using a spectra top shot for pier fishing about 10 years ago. The piers I fished had old pilons extending out several hundred yards and the big fish always seem to head for the pilons. There's a trick to getting them out of these pilons,but the top shot would be so frayed it would have to be changed out. A fishing partner came up with the idea to use spectra top shots and last time I fished the pier seems everyone is now using them on the piers. I use them in the ship channel and in the surf(Winter) and haven't had any problems. I change them out after a few good catching trips. I run one on my smaller 6500--14#mono and 65# shock. I'm sure we do totally different kind of fishing and I don't throw lures often so I'm not sure how spectra would affect presentation/hook-up throwing lures.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
For a level wind, and it might sound funny as it is two knots not one, but I use the spider to no name combo. Both knots are compact and do not have any issue with them passing through the level wind.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I've begun doing the same thing Cdog mentioned with my level winds and have been pleasantly surprised...I'm fishing lighter mainline (10 or 12), and generally not throwing more than 4-6oz, and running a 30lb shock.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have 2 - 6500s with the level winds on them and yes Cdogs knots work very well on both but then again I usally run 14lb main line to 30lb shock, I have run as high as 17lb test but 20 and you ain't gonna get but so much line on that reel and the knot size grows quickly.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I have 2 - 6500s with the level winds on them and yes Cdogs knots work very well on both but then again I usally run 14lb main line to 30lb shock, I have run as high as 17lb test but 20 and you ain't gonna get but so much line on that reel and the knot size grows quickly.

:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
If your just getting used too the levelwind. Spool it up
with 25# Line and forget the Shock, one less thing too
worry about! Been fishing my Abu's like that for year's!
Will throw 4oz & chunk of bait a long @$$ way's. Go
ahead and get you a conventional also:D:fishing:
( Albright on the Splice )

·
Registered
506 Posts

What he said.

I have also used the Slim Beauty knot with a single mainline tied into the shock leader. Makes a very compact and tapered knot going out.

Slim Beauty Knot

I also use the Yucatan Knot. Very simple to tie and never fails when tied right.

Yucatan Knot

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
What is the best and smallest knot that can be used to tie a 50# mono shock leader to a 20# mono running line? The challenge is getting the not to flow smoothly out of and into the level wind (Abu 6600). I currently tie a regular overhand not in the leader line and a uni knot in the running line. I know the easiest fix is to go conventional, but, as was suggested on this board, I need to get comfortable with the level wind baitcaster before I move up to the conventional.
Conventional= no big deal

You can go with an abu 6500 mag elite for control, you'll be surprised at how easy it is to throw with the magnetic control. This will also get you used to laying the line down with your thumb, the longer you wait and put it off, the longer you deprive yourself of the benefits of conventionals- so why wait ?

If you have made even two successful casts with a levelwind- you are ready for a conventional- just don't go overboard on your first conventional- stick with the magged abu or a penn 525, these are easy for most everyone to use.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not enough!

He won't have enough line on the reel to really throw it. 25lb. is a little on the heavy side to throw long with only 4oz. and bait. I would go with 14lb. with 25lb. shock leader to get you started.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your advice. Since an overhand knot on the 50# leader is too big, it makes since to step down the line size. I will go down to 12 or 14 running line and 30# leader.

Also, since I am not having any significant issues with casting a level wind, I will keep an eye out for a used conventional reel.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've used 50# braid as a shock leader, with an Alberto knot, to my 17# Black Widow line, with a level wind. But I don't particularly like using a level wind reel with a shock leader. Now I run braid, and a shorter leader to avoid any hassles. It works for me.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,

I was given a lot of information on shock leader knots before with some very good links for tying knots.

See, http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49330&highlight=waal

After much advice also from this forum I succumbed to the conventional reel, bought myself a Penn 525 super mag, which is fantastic, neither was there any great difficulty in changing to this type of reel. I have just bought a Penn 535 Mag for the rough ground fishing here in Scotland, both are brillian and trouble free.

Just set the mags on the +++ side for anti-birds-nests and you'll be fine.

This is is a great site for information and friendly advice, tight lines!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts