Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get back to a using a shock leader, the knot I used years ago was difficult to tie and bulky and time consuming. Found lots of info on the internet but would like to hear some real hands on info. Will be mostly braid to a mono shock leader, approx. 40# braid to 60# mono, thanks all, ...pop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a #20 mainline & #50 shock, mono-mono. Tried several combinations in testing & practical application including the bimini. Everyone has their own tying skill, purposes, and conclusion. I've always came back to the spider hitch - noname (bristol). I've started using a 3 turn spider hitch to keep the knot small as possible. And really need to cinch down on the no-name, i started using wimp gloves, or it'll come out with a short clipped tag. Jmho..

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use thr Alberto Knot. I use it on my heaver rod also, just about everything with a shock leader. Never had a problem with the knot. If I had a break off, it was in the leader , knot was still always there. Thanks Alberto G. Knot is eazy to tie day and night.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
FG or PR knot Braid to mono or flouro... Incredibly small, strong and less chance of a failure than some of the above mentioned
Plenty of YouTubes on how to tie them....
On a heavier Spinning set up I bring my knot through my guides and on to my spool a couple wraps.. Properly tied you never hear or feel go through the guides when casting it

·
Registered
110 Posts
What garbo said. I use the no-name for all of my leader knots, from largemouth bass to surf. It's quick and strong. MAKE SURE you tie it correctly, especially the last step, as it's possible to almost get it right, then have it slip under a heavy load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts