Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using 17# mono with a 50# shock leader. If I respool with braided line,say 65# PowerPro, is a shock leader required?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use 50# power pro with 100# power pro shock leader. one of the reason is it saves the main line while my shock leader is taking most of the abuse.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Take it from someone who has seen what braided line can do, BE CAREFUL that braid will cut the tip of your finger right off. Saw it happen at Seagull a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cut mine 50% off using 20# throwing 3 oz Kastmaster spoons. If you use braided line on a spinning reel, suggest that you use the leather finger covers. They are excellent quality and save alot of blood!!! Can buy them on the Gear site of the BB.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I use a little leather finger guard that I bought in the arts and crafts department at Wallyworld. Helps to keep the braid from tearing up the fingers. I was trying to help someone handline their shark tonight, grabbed the line and realized it was braid. I let it go FAST!!! :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering about running a mono main line then using 65# or 80# power pro as a shock leader. Since the lines are similiar in diameter it gives you a nice compact knot that casts well. I tryed it just practice casting and it worked well. I was wondering what anyone thought about using this setup in fishing applications. Do you think it will work well?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
As braid does not stretch like mono, I would highly recommend against doing this. You will probably end up breaking your shocker when you cast.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I don't have much problem with my leader breaking. I use Spiderwire Stealth #50, about 60 yards of that, then that attaches to a Stren #20 mono running line. The knot is really small and flies right through the guides. The only time the Spiderwire is a problem is if I want to handline something up. In that case, I use a gaff, or if I plan to release it, I'll use a pier net or beach it if none is available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts