Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I would be interested in hearing some opinions on the Shimano Calcutta 400s. The s series is without the crossbar and levelwind. Would be fishing for inshore fish(flounder,trout,drum) from the surf and boat. Thanks to all whom reply.

Tap

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Outstanding reels. I have the smallest version (CT 50) and use it for freshwater only.

I was considering the 400 for my inshore/surf fishing for casting lures but decided against it. I think the 400 is great for inshore but do not think it could handle the surf and sand as it has very close machined tolerances and a grain of sand would kill it. Also, I do not think the finish would like the salt too much. If you do not plan on fishing near the beach and sand (like casting from a boat), I think that it's an excellent reel. Even the 700 model, which works great as a surf reel, is quite delicate compared to other more durable surf reels. Additionally, if you plan on using a 400 for casting lures exclusively, get the levelwind model.

IMHO Bottom Line - The reels are great from a boat or pier but I wouldn't take a Calcutta on the beach.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
SandCrab-If you look closely @ the the Pic of the Guy holding the 3 and 5 lbs Weakies,In the back ground,you can see a CT50 on my buddies homemade 7 foot rod.He put some incredibly small diameter power pro(10 lbs test) on it and caught 3 to5 lbs greys also on it.Really fun lite tackle reel,especially on big fish.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I have 8 lb test mono on it now. Maybe I should look into the smaller diameter braids. The idea of putting braid on the reel never crossed my mind. Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 400. I've used it from a boat catching stripers. I also use it on a 10' Tica for casting metal and the like from the beach. The reel is engineered for the salt, so there is no chance that the finish will suffer. Its a great reel, but for $200 I can buy two Abus, which are just as good, IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts