Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you folks have a review of this reel ?
Shimano Ultegra XTD 5500

All reports I see are basically goo except a few that sat it is not very durable and wears out relatively quick.
TD has some in stock for 189.
Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's good to hear, thanks for your input.
Might just get one on the way then.Pickins be a might slim out there right now.
Need to find a matching pole now ......
Thanks again,
:)
Had one for a while and it performed well….sold it only because I decided to go to conventional reels for all my bait fishing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just ordered one to go on a CCP 12’ 3-7. From the reviews and specs, it seems to be just what I have been looking for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much, if any, does distance suffer from using a univ opposed to a spinning rod with a spinning reel ?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
How much, if any, does distance suffer from using a univ opposed to a spinning rod with a spinning reel ?
Universal ? Do you mean conventional ? The casting distance is far greater in conventional Over spinning when casting four or more ounces.
Hatteras Jacks posted this past week receiving some in

·
Registered
80 Posts
Universal ? Do you mean conventional ? The casting distance is far greater in conventional Over spinning when casting four or more ounces.
Are you referring to using a universal rod and spinning reel vs. spinning rod and reel?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Are you referring to using a universal rod and spinning reel vs. spinning rod and reel?
We have a disconnect here .. But the Ballistics are supposedly accept a spinning reel but I'm not so sure because of the first two guides being so small. It will constrict the line as it strips off the spool and create a lot of line slap.
That's why there is a significant difference in the guide sizes on spinning rods as opposed to conventional rods.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my understanding of the nomenclature, a spinning rod has very large eyes near the reel, a conventional has relatively small eyes and a universal splits the difference thereby creating a compromise to allow using either type of reel to be used on the same rod. Hence, if big spinning eyes are best, distance would then be compromised when using a spinning reel on a universal rod. How much ? ? ? ?, just wondering. I feel certain it would not be considered in a tournament setting. But for fishing ? ? ?, not likely a consideration for the budget conscious.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
From my understanding of the nomenclature, a spinning rod has very large eyes near the reel, a conventional has relatively small eyes and a universal splits the difference thereby creating a compromise to allow using either type of reel to be used on the same rod. Hence, if big spinning eyes are best, distance would then be compromised when using a spinning reel on a universal rod. How much ? ? ? ?, just wondering. I feel certain it would not be considered in a tournament setting. But for fishing ? ? ?, not likely a consideration for the budget conscious.
Thanks
Well It would just depend on how far you want your casts to be.. Take for instance being on the beach and slinging lures for Albies, Spanish and Blues in the surf.. I want my casts as far as my rod can get them there..A size 50 stripper guide will create far less friction than if I had a 30 or 25 for a 'universal' approach. One rod cant do it all well. There are sacrifices... So instead I just have rods for specific purposes. I will not bore you with the list.
Like the reel you intend to buy... Id say its a bit large for casting lures off the beach and can throw some rods out of balance. However its a good all round rod for fishing for smaller to larger sized bottom fish off the beach.
Shimano run a little small so it would be equal to a 5000 series penn of daiwa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts