Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been looking for a small reel for everything from catching bait to, going for macks, and all other sorts of smaller fish for a while now; a while ago i came accross this reel in a combo and love the way it felt, it has perfect line capacity for me! Now i am in need of some questions need answering! First does this reel have a sealed drag system? Is it corrosion resistant against saltwater? Also how does the frame hold up? Does it get scratched up real easy and stuff? Now i alsowould like some feedback on the rod; it is a shimano scimitar. My main concern here would be corrosion! Will the guides rust up? Does it have a nice bend? Sorry for all the questions, i will be open to suggestions, trying to stay around the 90$ max range! Thanks!:fishing::beer:

·
Registered
625 Posts
The sahara's are nice reels but i dont think they are really made for saltwater. They dont hold up well when they are being constantly splashed let alone dunked. I owned one that I used on my kayak for a bit but sold it to get a more suitable one for the yak. If its not gonna get wet then go for it. You can get the older models for dirt cheap now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grilled sardine they are not going to get dunked ( at least i dont plan on it)! I would like somemore feedback though, thanks anyways! Triple t i want a spinning now a conv. thanks anyways, those are great reels!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Grilled sardine they are not going to get dunked ( at least i dont plan on it)! I would like somemore feedback though, thanks anyways! Triple t i want a spinning now a conv. thanks anyways, those are great reels!
Just as you say that, I can see you looking away and a big one hitting and pulling the rod out of the sand spike and taking it for a Nantucket Sleigh Ride and you chasing it into the surf:D:D:D

Been there

Done it

Paid the price with a reel full of sand :eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The Sahara is a good reel. If you take care of it it will be fine, but personally I took my 2500 into the suds chest deep in pursuit of spanish macks, and did not clean it thoroughly thereafter. Next time I went to crank the reel about a month later it was locked up! I've got it freed up now, but the mainshaft bearing is shot. That said, I'm not sure how many reels would have handled that treatment any better, but if I had it to do all over I'd look at the Daiwa SS Tournament Whisker 2600 (gave this one same treatment, its still smooth as ever). That and the old standbyes, Penn Spinfisher SS, Daiwa Black Gold, those that aren't too smooth in the first place are tough to beat for roughing it on the beach and in the salt, at least in the price range you're implying.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a Scimitar, 7' one-piece. Great smallmouth rod, but I am not sure it's a saltwater stick. Is the one you found a surf rod? I thought it was a mainly freshwater series but I certainly don;t know all there is to know.

Its a nice graphite stick for not a lot of money. I think I got mine for something like $18 from some online closeout place. To me that makes it all the better.
It's not a high dollar rod but it is well made and feels good in my hands. My 7' balances well with a Quantum Pulse 30 (theres a nice all metal reel, magnetic bail trip, real smooth drag, and get them on eBay closeout for $20 ish shipped).
They have the Pulse 40 there too, same prices. That's a reel in the $60 retail range for nice cheap coin. The Pulse series in nearly the same as the Boca series as far as I can tell. Feels smooth like a Boca and is all metal, same mag bail, etc.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The Saharas are great reels. I have owned 3 Shimano Saharas with intentions of a cheap and reliable reel for the kayak.. I have two 4000's and a 2500. I have landed puppy drum up to 28" on both reels with no issues. They've both takin' splashes and dunks... granted they're not as smooth as the day I bought them, they don't stick and they land fish. The drags are smooth and they're built tough.. I can rely on them for my light tackle needs. Take care of your tackle, it'll take care of you.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Drags are not sealed but the reel does have ARB . (anti-rust bearings) . Just rinse the reel after every use in the salt and you should be ok . I've been using Saharas for light tackle jigging and bait fishing on the Chessy for years and the reels are a good bang for the buck .

·
Registered
559 Posts
4000fb

Shimano Sahara 4000fb, Great multipurpose reel for the price.. Ihave caught Largemouth to blues with that model..

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have the 4000fb that i got at the beginning of the summer and have caught a ton of spanish off LIP and is my rod for the yak it has been dunked about 5 or 6 times always getting splashed and it has gotten very hard to spin but then i started taking it apart about every week and a half and clean it and grease it. and it is still as smooth reeling as when i got it. never had to mess with the drag its always been smooth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts